Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

Hi all - only just found this thread too...!

(16 Posts)
Catflap Sat 19-Feb-05 11:02:29

Hiya ladies - I ahve posted a few times on education, in response to some reading threads, as a particular passion of mine. Have also been l,ooking around other threads - this site is SOOOO extensive! I was just wondering where I could introduce myself.... some posters seem to 'know' each other - is this because you all post on similar threads all the time, or does everyone visit all of them at some point or another??!!

Well, I am 30 years old and now a SAHM with my first baby - a little girl who is now nearly 8 months old. I chose my name as I always wanted a cat called catflap (don't ask why....) but OH wouldn't have it... So I carry out my desires with my usernames!!

Thanks all for your wonderful advice so dar - have visited the feeding forum quite a bit since weaning!

I'm sorry I took so long to introduce myself... this forum should be nearer the top! lol

catflap x

Gobbledigook Sat 19-Feb-05 11:04:25

Because we all go to active conversations I think but this is the best place for introductions!

Some people do stay mostly on particular boards like SN, but I think most of the people I 'know' go on active convos and chat mostly!!

Welcome!

Catflap Sat 19-Feb-05 11:07:28

Hiya! Thank you!

- what do you mean by active conversations, exactly? - I take it these are the ones that people are currently contributing to, is that right? Presumably you can 'reactivate' a conversation by bumping it?

- this board isn't like any other I use - apologies for being thick!

Gobbledigook Sat 19-Feb-05 11:10:19

Yes, at the top where 'home' 'topics' etc is, there is 'active conversations' where the 40 (I think) live conversations with most recent messages are listed. Yes you can reactivate a thread by bumping it and it will appear at the top of active convos again.

Have fun! Got to go to swimming now!

emmatmg Sat 19-Feb-05 11:13:18

Hi catflap...

Active conversations is a click thingy at the top, I spent my life clicking that and on here so I "know" alot of people from the amount of time I'm here.

Welcome, great name btw.

bee3 Sat 19-Feb-05 14:34:27

Hi Catflap, and welcome.

I have seen your threads on education, and rejoice in such fantastic advice. I'm a SAHM with a 12 month old son who was a primary teacher (me, not ds!)and am a huge synthetic phonics advocate.I lurk around the education threads too. Don't post much, but love all advice, gossip and laughs you can have on here.
Enjoy! bee

coldtea Sat 19-Feb-05 14:43:38

Hi catflap & thanks for replying to my thread 'reading in reception class'. I wonder are you a teacher? Great words anyhow!! Being nosey now! What other boards do you contribute to?

Gobbledigook Sat 19-Feb-05 19:50:12

Catflap - how rude of me not to introduce myself too!

I'm 32 and have 3 ds's aged almost 4, just 2 and 5.5 months. Live in South Manchester with dh and kids.

My Mum is on this site too - JoolsToo.

Socci Sat 19-Feb-05 20:22:20

Message withdrawn

tigermoth Sun 20-Feb-05 08:07:17

HI Catflap, hope you soon find your way around mumsnet - sure you will!

Thanks for your reading advice - it is always good to get some professional viewpoints on the education threads. Glad you are getting advice here as well so there a bit of give and take.

I am a mother of two sons - nearly 11 (very good reader) and 5.5 (just beginning). I live in SE London and work in communications for a local authority.

reindeer Sun 20-Feb-05 10:24:34

Hi Catflap! Nice to meet you .

As you were/are in that field, can you give me any advice about working as a classroom assistant? Do you think they are valued or used as dogsbody's?

Any advice would be welcome!

Catflap Thu 24-Feb-05 12:20:24

Thanks for all the welcomes!

bee - do share your SP teaching experiences! WOuld be good to hear. Have you contributed on any other education boards or reading ones?

coldtea - I was a teacher until I quit last year. I taught Reception and Year 1.

reindeer - usually now, classroom assistants are a huge bonus - in fact, essential. I can't imagine they would ever be used as dogsbodys.... as there's too much important stuff to be involved with! These days, you are needed to help a lot more with the education of the kids and work a lot with individuals and groups supporting their learning - there's not so much sharpening pencils and washing paint pots any more.... A good way in is to become a voluteer at your local school and wait for something to come up. Good luck.

coldtea Mon 18-Apr-05 20:59:57

Catflap, you are so wise with your words. I just wondered at what age does reading just all fall into place. Ds has been in reception since January & he's doing great but he doesn't seem to enjoy reading. I always make it fun but to him it seems such a chore.

I wonder if that will change as he learns to read more confidently?

Catflap Mon 18-Apr-05 22:39:52

hiya coldtea!! ;-)

I don't think there is a general age when reading falls in to place - all childrean are different - as I'm sure you have heard many a time with baby development!! Even with the best, most effective teaching, progress will be at a different rate depending on the abilities of the child and the motivation.

yes, the chances are, your ds will be more enthused once he is more able. After all, who likes a struggle?! As adults, we can have the perspective to rise to the challenge, but to make 4/5 year olds, this is far to much to expect!

Reading is a complicated business and you have to see immediate results. Depending on how your ds is being taught, this might not be the case. Boys, especially at that age, are more physical learners and have a lot of energy and are far more tuned in to active, physical learning and activites at this stage.

Early days yet, go with it for now. If you know of any of my previous postings on the subject of reading, yoiu may want to question the method of reaidng teaching used.

coldtea Mon 18-Apr-05 22:48:30

Thanks Catflap, wise words as always!

coldtea Mon 18-Apr-05 22:51:46

Just for the record, you may have noticed a small discrepency(sp) in that i've been quoting ds as being 5 for the last year! It was the only detail i changed to keep myself from being discovered!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now