Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

5 month old - feeding

(12 Posts)
mmmmchocolate Thu 27-Jan-05 22:57:28

Please can some one help me and advise me on how i should introduce my DD meal times. Since her birth she has never been the best feeding so at this moment she is having 4 bottles a day of 5-6oz at 7.30am, 11am, 3.45pm and 7.30pm. She also has one meal around 1pm which she loves. I am worried if i introduce more meal times she will not drink her milk. Any advice welcome x

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 23:00:32

You might want to post this again on food or bottle/breast feeding where you'll get more response.

It's currently recommended that babies start solids at 6 months so you have time.

Re-post and I bet lots of people pick it up and post.

hope that helps

mmmmchocolate Thu 27-Jan-05 23:01:51

Thank you, i will try that. People are so nice on this site. (first time on here).

Gobbledigook Thu 27-Jan-05 23:06:26

My ds3 is 5 months now and I've just started giving him a small, small amount of baby rice but I've followed GF for weaning (just cos it's easy!). So what I've done is for the first 3 days given a small amount of baby rice after most of his bottle at 11am. For the next 3 days you just give a small amount of baby rice at the 6pm feed only. Then you would give a feed at 11am and 6pm and introduce one new food every 3 days. You can mix the new food (e.g. pureed pear or carrot) with one of the baby rice meals and leave the other just baby rice.

So far I've only done the first 3 days of baby rice at 11am and tbh, despite being very hungry for his milk, he couldn't give a monkeys about the baby rice and just looks at me blankly with his mouth shut! Little tinker! Might actually give up for a bit now as he doesn't seem that bothered by it so can't be as hungry as I thought!

Amanda3266 Thu 27-Jan-05 23:06:58

Hi,

If she's gaining weight well then don't be too worried. The current guidelines from the Dept of Health say that when weaning initially a baby should still be having mostly milk. However, as they start to increase their solids (often between 5-6 months but not written in stone)their milk needs will naturally decrease - mainly because they are getting the milk in other forms (Petit Filous, Baby rice made with milk etc).

Basically she needs to be having about a pint of milk a day - but this includes milk which she takes in other forms. Therefore you might find that she decreases her milk but this shouldn't have any detrimental effect on her. It might be worth making up some baby rice with her milk and then mixing up a Petit Filous fromage frais in it - loads of milk in that. You could also try sweet potato mashed and mixed with her milk - anything to give her a few different tastes. Once she's six months you can try other things like toast soldiors (which my DS used to chew to a mush and spit out) which will help her with learning to chew non-liquid food.

Hope that helps a bit

Mandy

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 23:07:32

I used Annabel Karmel for my DTs (Darling Twins). Wonderful book, gorgeous pictures. Nice food!

Gobbledigook Thu 27-Jan-05 23:11:56

I agree - I've used that too but atm all my books are in boxes from moving and GF came out first!

I've also got a Lorraine Kelly book for toddler food and I've made a few cool things from there recently too.

mmmmchocolate Thu 27-Jan-05 23:14:12

Thank you, i will get some petit filous tommorow and try her with that. I am sure she will love it as at moment i am giving half jar of mums own food and half jar of apple and pear. so i think i will replace that awith the yoghurt.

Thank you

mmmmchocolate Thu 27-Jan-05 23:15:23

i have the lorraine kelly book, but dd doesn't seem to like the home made food. Think its the texture, was so proud of myself making all these dinner she hasn't eaten one yet.

MunchedTooManyMarsLady Thu 27-Jan-05 23:18:39

your DD will adapt to food and textures. She's still very young and has a tiny stomach. Just a spoonful or two is plenty at first. Don't give up on the homemade stuff. Just freeze it in ice cubes and bag it. Your DD may find some of the tastes really strong so start with baby rice and when you go for other foods put baby rice in it and reduce it slowly. It all takes time, but she'll get there.

mmmmchocolate Thu 27-Jan-05 23:21:41

Thank you. People are so nice on here... Wish i had used it when i was pregnant and worried.

Gobbledigook Fri 28-Jan-05 11:50:06

Also, don't forget she is very little still at 5 months - my ds is barely eating anything yet - he can perhaps manage a teaspoon of baby rice! It's really from 6 months onwards when I think the iron supply they are born with begins to deplete, that it's a good idea to start introducing food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now