Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

baby help

(44 Posts)
ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:11:10

Has anyone got any tips for keeping a 5 month old happy whilst not in your arms !!! As soon as I put her down well....the pick me up NOW crying starts. All ideas welcome.....pleaseeeeeee

msann Tue 04-Jan-05 14:13:27

sorry - no advice - it was all so long ago for me! but hugs anyway...

Lonelymum Tue 04-Jan-05 14:15:33

Try to put her down a bit because it will only get worse the older she gets. I know it is hard, but she may surprise you and stop crying by herself after a few minutes and then you will be much freer to get on with other things.

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:17:37

how old are your lovely one msann ?

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:19:53

I do try but the thing is my 2.5 gets really fed up with the cries he has taken to wearing ear defenders !! bless him

morningpaper Tue 04-Jan-05 14:20:30

This is quite normal for lots of babies! Personally I wouldn't try to 'teach' her to be happy by herself, but just try and meet her needs for cuddles as much as possible. Slings are useful for this sort of thing. How strong is she? She might like a door-swing or a baby walker/exerciser type thing? Particularly if she can watch you i.e. in the kitchen at the same time?

biglips Tue 04-Jan-05 14:23:21

you have to learn to ignore her for couple of mins and if she start screaming louder then pick her up. The other day i put baba down in the bouncer, she started to cry so i ignored her cries as she had already been fed adn i also checked her nappy too, so i put on her musical toy and then she calmed down in the bouncer and was happy looking at the musical toy. (it was a flashing mobile phone) (baba is 3 months old). if you intend to pick her up for every cries she makes, she is expecting you to drop everything and to pick her up. Try it as it will feel bad at first but then baba gets used to it and wont be crying as much

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:23:49

She is 5 months but fairly strong i thought of a door swing but she might find her self swinging too hard with big brother ! walker may be an idea

biglips Tue 04-Jan-05 14:26:00

a walker be a brill idea as baba prob hates lying down and maybe bored.... my baba hates lying down as she wants to sit up all the time and being nosey (aww bless her!)

MrsBigD Tue 04-Jan-05 14:29:36

ds, 4months, just started that... what I do then is roll him on his tummy and he shuts up for a while. Until he gets tired of lifting his head up that is, but if I then put him back on his back and give him something to slobber on he's o.k. for a while. I just call out to him on a regular basis if I'm not in sight and that seems to work too.

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:35:53

Its the constant whining that gets me (sad) I dont want to pander to her too much as my son will get (envy)

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 14:49:28

Bless her I am trying your ideas as we speak she got really cross so on my knee now.

Lonelymum Tue 04-Jan-05 19:04:44

I second a baby door swing thing or a walker. I find they do get bored lying on the floor at about your dd's age and being propped up is a novelty. They can only stay in it for a short length of time though.

colditzmum Tue 04-Jan-05 19:19:23

<<<<creeps in, arms aloft in full expectation of crucifiction>>>>>>

When my son was 5 months old, I put him in a baby walker and padded himout with towels and blankets. He had a very strong back anyway, and sat up on his own at 6 months old.

He really, really liked it.

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 21:19:39

DH has just walked through the door with baby Graco (bless) DD is 5 months so wont be able to stay in for long. She gets sooooooo and cross it drives me mental. Phoned HV flippin useless

KatieinSpain Tue 04-Jan-05 21:28:46

Zoe - both my boys loved being in the baby Graco entertainer-thing. Hopefully, it'll give you some breathing space. I'd also go with the door bouncer, DS2 loved it so much I felt mean that DS1 never had one. Could you also borrow a swing or bumbo off someone to see if she likes them, too? Have to admit to still carrying DS2 round a heck of a lot, even though he is 14 months now.

janeybops Tue 04-Jan-05 21:36:32

have youu got a play nest for her to sit in and watch you from?

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 21:39:52

Got the baby nest she HATES it ! have a baby born carrier but broke back ( flippin snowboarding) 6 years ago so cant carry for too long

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 22:09:45

Zoe .. DD used to hate galt ring but started loving it .. so keep trying it

have you tried a bumbo chair so she can sit up and watch you?

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 22:13:51

Twiglett - whats a bumbo chair ??? or am I thick brain has melted since babies

Mooseofawaterwitch Tue 04-Jan-05 22:15:48

Bumbos are good but have a very limited lifespan. I have one, do you want to borrow it? I'm in Bristol too. Mine belongs to a friend who does want it back but I'm sure wouldn't mind if someone else had it for a little while.

Mooseofawaterwitch Tue 04-Jan-05 22:17:15

It's this! They are good but only for about 5 minutes before a baby can sit alone!

Mooseofawaterwitch Tue 04-Jan-05 22:18:57

The friend doesn't have a baby small enough for it and isn't having any more but I think just wants to pass it on to the next friend who needs it.

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 22:32:58

Mooseofawaterwitch - Thats a lovely offer if thats ok with your pal would love to borrow. I live in Whitchurch but have car and will travel. I am fairly new to Bristol so dont know many places child friendly only the Zoo and city farm. As I am such a wimp I will be off to bed soon so please keep intouch x

Twiglett Tue 04-Jan-05 22:40:33

that's nice of you WWW

why are you suddenly mooseofa though? [puzzled icon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now