Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

An Indonesian mother in London

(22 Posts)
fira Fri 31-Dec-04 11:46:18

Hi all,
Please let me introduce myself. My name is Fira. My husband and I come from Indonesia, and I've been living in London for about 1.5 years. I've just joined Mumsnet after reading about it in a magazine. I think this Mumsnet thing is amazing

We've got a wonderful son, named Zaidan, who is 7.5 months old. He has inherited my eczema, unfortunately, and also had been diagnosed having an illness called hypotonia, which makes his muscles floppier than other babies It breaks my heart sometimes just thinking about this. But the paeditrician told me that his case is not severe, and referred us to physiotherapist. We've been doing exercises everyday to strengthen up his muscles, and fortunately he is enjoying this.

In the last few days, I've been very sad reading the news about the disaster in my country, Indonesia. The earthquake and tsunami really wiped out entire Aceh coastal region. I originally come from a region near Aceh (in the same island, Sumatra). Reading about how the victims are mostly children, and millions of people living homeless. Some hasn't even eaten in 4 days. They desperately need any help they can get.

It's heartening that the British people are very generous, I read in the BBC that they've donated a large sum of money, larger than any other country in the world. Thank you very much.. Any help, no matter small, can save lives, as the Aceh survivors are faced with many deadly threats, such as epidemic diseases and famine.

Well, I hope I can talk to many of you soon
Thank you for reading my long message

Cheers,
-Fira-

bottle Fri 31-Dec-04 11:47:52

welcome to mumsnet fira

tiredemma Fri 31-Dec-04 11:48:33

welcome to mumsnet!!!

you will find lots of support on here...everyone is lovely!!

paolosgirl Fri 31-Dec-04 11:51:29

Welcome to Mumsnet! I hope that all your friends and family are safe back in Indonesia.

Gobbledigook Fri 31-Dec-04 11:52:28

Welcome to Mumsnet Fira!

winnie1 Fri 31-Dec-04 12:10:40

Fira, welcome to Mumsnet

Carla Fri 31-Dec-04 12:14:20

Message deleted

jampots Fri 31-Dec-04 12:15:04

Hi Fira - welcome

MarsLady Fri 31-Dec-04 12:17:38

welcome Fira

bran Fri 31-Dec-04 12:38:27

Selamat datang Fira

Listmaker Fri 31-Dec-04 12:51:12

Welcome Fira. Hope all your friends and family are OK. The whole thing is so incredibly distressing and even more so for you. Hope your ds continues to thrive. Hope to see you around.

PuffTheMagicDragon Fri 31-Dec-04 12:53:09

welcome Fira .

pixiefish Fri 31-Dec-04 13:00:14

hello and welcome Fira

fira Fri 31-Dec-04 13:23:59

Hi everyone. Thank you for the warm welcomes Yes, I've been browsing the Health threads, and I find many useful advices.

I have some friends whose families live in Aceh, and they still haven't got the news about their families, because all communication links are broken. Many Aceh people who live in other regions in Indonesia are trying to find out the whereabouts of their families by sending a member of their family directly to Aceh while providing them with satellite mobile phones as the means of communication. But I read in Indonesian newspapers that a lot of ticket touts are taking advantages of this condition, and making the tickets to go to Aceh very expensive. Grrr, they really make me angry...Hope they all can be arrested...

Bran, you greeted me in Indonesian language, do you speak Indonesian?

coppertop Fri 31-Dec-04 13:28:09

Welcome to Mumsnet.

There are a few mumsnetters in the Special Needs section who have children with hypotonia if you ever feel like talking things over with them.

SuzyWongMerrilyOnHigh Fri 31-Dec-04 13:29:58

Hi Fira and welcome to Mumsnet

bran Fri 31-Dec-04 13:43:52

Fila, saya cakap sikit-sikit Bahasa Malayu. Swami saya orang Malaysia. I'm not very good though, just enough to understand menus and basic conversational pleasantries. I found it very difficult to learn as the grammar has a very different structure from European languages, and my dh doesn't help by laughing at my horrible accent.

fira Fri 31-Dec-04 15:39:58

OK Coppertop, thank you for letting me know about the other mums who has experiences with hypotonia. I may need to ask them some questions.

And Bran, you can learn and practice Bahasa Melayu with me any time, if you want to

suedonim Fri 31-Dec-04 19:13:10

Selamat sore, Fira and welcome to Mumsnet. I'm sorry to hear about your friend's families involved in the quake/tsunami, it's just so terrible.

Frizbe Fri 31-Dec-04 19:29:19

Hi Fira

I've just tried to CAT you with my details but can't, so thought I'd post on here. I have a friend in Nottingham who is Indonesian, from Surabya, Java, if your looking to converse with other Indonesian mums in the uk ( I know she would love to chat to other expat mum's) please CAT me and I could pass on your e-mail details or tel no and you two could take it from there?

fira Sun 02-Jan-05 22:08:11

Hi Suedonim and Frizbe, selamat malam and good evening. Sorry to be so late in replying, I've been busy since yesterday, and I just read your messages just now.
Just want to share a story about my friend's family. She has been living here with her husband and children since last year. Her parents lives in a house just 200 meters away from shore in Banda Aceh. On that Sunday morning when the tsunami hit Aceh, her father and brother was out of home, luckily, and they survived the quake and the big waves. But her mother and cousin was at home, and up until now, they haven't been found. It's so sad hearing about her family.

Frizbe, I've enabled my CAT option (I didn't know that there was an option for that :D ). I've tried to CAT you, but the message couldn't be passed on because of your CAT option didn't allow for it (or so it says in the page). Of course I'd love to talk to you friend. Could you change your CAT option so that I can CAT you? Thank you

mix Tue 05-Apr-05 22:29:30

Hi everybody. I'm from Java. No children, hopefully that's OK here. Do we have Indonesian mom living in Coventry or somewhere nearby?
mix xoxo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now