Talk

Advanced search

Hi, at last!!

(40 Posts)
MUMINAMILLION Thu 02-Sep-04 16:40:05

OK, Ive decided its time to formally introduce myself since Im now completely addicted to this site and feel that I know everyone else personally.

Been married for 12yrs, have 4dds and 3 gerbils. My dds (and gerbils) are home educated so I am usually at home - hence the amount of time I spend on here! When Im able to drag myself away from the computer I love reading, art (painting), e-bay (oh thats on the computer too) and ....... well thats about it! Oh, I play the violin too. Im in Scotland (central region) and would LOVE to have another baby or 5, but hubby made sure that is now an impossibility (snip snip).

spots Tue 07-Sep-04 09:48:37

Hello muminamillion. I'm enjoying guessing what all these exotic sounding foodstuffs are... my guess is that you two are just making them up. Particularly like the mention of 'Milk Tart' amongst all these unpronouncable names. I found a recipe for 'Toast Water'yesterday in a home management book... perhaps the two could appear on the same menu...

Am in Fife, would like to meet mumsnetters in Scotand. Have some home educating friends nearby...

Prettybird Wed 08-Sep-04 09:19:24

Spots: here is a glossary!

Koeksisters - two "ropes of a sweet, yeast based dough twisted together, then deepfired, then plunged into a syrup so that they are stciky all the way thorugh. Very yummy but very calorific

Bobotie: a slightly spicy/curry mince with an egguy custard

Boerwurs: " literally, "farmers' sausage" - a slightly spicy, coarse suasage. Spices usually include corander and cumin - but everyone has their own "recipe"

Biltong: dried meat (like jerky in the States) - an acquired taste

Milk tart (actually Melktert): a "lighter" (nicer) versioon of a custard tart, with a vanilla custard (my Mum's recipe also has a wee bit of almond essence), thickened with some flour/cornflour so it is not so eggy, and topped with cinnamon. Also yummy!

Meelie pap: cornmeal "porridge"

spots Wed 08-Sep-04 14:46:06

Think I could handle most of those...

tho' maybe not all in the one sitting...

S.A. food's not very well available in Scotland is it? no wonder you're hunting down recipes... Can't see Gregg's offering koeksisters quite yet.

MUMINAMILLION Sat 11-Sep-04 13:04:18

Scotlou - poor you!! Do you get any time for yourself in between all the dashing back and forth? Im sure things will settle down for you soon tho, and its great you have found a good school. I have a HUGE family all nearby, so the girls have plenty of cousins to keep them company. Also, they have loads of friends constantly coming and going including many in our village. (They are a bit of a novelty since they dont go to the school I think!) You'll prob meet my dh speeding up or down the A9 while you are - he works round Blackford area.

Thanks prettybird! And hi spots! Maybe we should open a SA restaurant and introduce the rest of the population to these delights! (mind you, with my cooking, we may have a few lawsuits on our hands!)

Hi mudda - I seem to have missed you! Would love to meet up - we could start our own very badly played violin quartet! My neighbours would love that - they think they have enough to complain about just now!

Sorry this is message is a bit delayed - have been away to exotic Arbroath with the kids. We had a great time though - fab weather (sunburn to prove it) and we had the beach to ourselves. Ive put on loads of weight though thanks to the renowned Arbroath fish and chips! Glad to be back tho, missed MN too much!!!!

Thanks Nom - where did you get that name? Dont tell me its from a classic novel or something or Ill be showing my ignorance! Probably already have now!

Hi Marina!! Nope, Artyalex is her one and only pseudonym (although we have lots of names for her - only joking!). Pleased to meet you.

Do you think I might get an award for the longest message? I really should be unpacking and maybe feed the kids ...............

Prettybird Tue 14-Sep-04 09:44:52

I've got the recipe for Koeksisters - now I just need to remember to bring it in to work - or to have a session on the PC at home.

I was surprised to find out that they are not yeat based - they use bicarb of soda, but, like a yeast based dough, you need to leave it for at least an hour to "prove", before making the twists and deep frying.

MUMINAMILLION Wed 15-Sep-04 08:44:07

Aah, well maybe thats where he's going wrong. Do we have the patience to leave them for an hour?? Usually the ingrediants are in the bowl and in our stomachs within about 2 minutes!

Prettybird Wed 15-Sep-04 09:08:26

That's one of the reasons Mum doesn't like making them. She used to make them to to take through for rugby matches at Murrayfield - but that involved getting up really early and was a real faff.

I've not brought in the recipe again - it's probably more likely I'll get round it it at the weekend - although we are doing the Pedal for Scotland on Sunday, so that takes out a day!

MUMINAMILLION Wed 15-Sep-04 09:10:13

Dont worry, no rush!! Enjoy Sunday, brave (mad?) you.

Tessiebear Wed 15-Sep-04 10:04:34

Muminamillion: Welcome and WOW - at home educating. I really admire someone who is able to do that. Do you ever miss not having a break from all your DD'S? Will you continue at secondary level?

Prettybird Thu 16-Sep-04 09:25:35

Muminamillion - we are praying for a westerly gale! The weather forecast is looking "good" !

Dh and I are doing it with my Mum & Dad and my borther and SIL. Even though I cycle in to wrok every day, dh and I iwll porbably be the slowest of the group as we have done no other cycling recently, whereas Mum and Dad are out regularly on long cycle rides.

MUMINAMILLION Mon 20-Sep-04 13:36:31

Hi Tessiebear! I dont seem to need a break too often - I think Im just used to them always being there! Mind you, Ive just started an art course on a Friday, and my sis has them for me. I do really enjoy having some time to myself then. Hope I dont get too used to it as its only for 10wks!! I cant see the girls going to secondary school. They are enjoying being HE'd too much. They didnt settle at primary, so I dont think they could ever settle at high school. My oldest would be due to start next year, and she is making no signs of being interested, if anything, she's becoming more adamant that she never wants to go back. I think it is the influence of her school-going friends who hate all the extra work in P7!!

Prettybird - how did the cyclethon go? Are you still alive or did you come in first???

Prettybird Tue 21-Sep-04 08:41:24

Muminamillion - yes we completed the 50 miles.

However, it was somewhat spoiled by dh discovering on Saturday morning that someone had broken into our garage overnight and stolen his bike - complete with child seat, his helmet and ds' helmet They left my bike though - which is the one we were thinking of replacing

He ended up having to borrow his nephew's bike for the ride - which had dodgy gears which crunched and fell into the wheel, breaking spokes, as we went into Avonbridge. We did eventually manage the rest of the route without incident - once he had worked out he was OK if he only used 3 of the gears on the middle cog.

He's now having to drive ds to nursery - which may cause problmes as I have first call on the car (as my company pays for it).

It buggered up my plans fro Saturday too - what with the ploice and the crime scenes person -hence me not jotting down the koeksisters recipe.

MUMINAMILLION Wed 22-Sep-04 21:16:42

Cant believe it - how awful!! You must feel so frustrated and angry! You did so well to carry on and do the cyclethon after all that though. I think I would have used it as a very very good excuse to bow out (no motivation!) And to complete it too - well done!!

labuschagne Tue 14-Jun-16 17:40:02

You really dont have to travel that far just for some biltong ( luckily I live around the corner from my 'pusher' LOL) St. Marcus Fine Foods deliver all over the UK, by oldest goes to uni in Edinburgh and they deliver from london to Scotland too! its £5.50 for next day delivery... kids are in heaven, but I'm the one that pays LOL

kitchenunit Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:43

THIS THREAD IS 12 YEARS OLD,

THE OP'S KIDS ARE NOW ADULTS,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »