Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

Homemade baby fashion..2

(80 Posts)
babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 11:59:04

Okay...I made this design first for our bed..screen printing onto silk , cotton and satin squares..
then made a baby sized one for my friends baby..she adores it!

again opinions please!
don't want to make a fool of myself trying to sell rubbish in the 'posh shops' around here..lol

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 11:59:34

ooh poo..pic hasn't shown.
try again..lol

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:25:04

okay..not a great pic, but it's a quilt with the andy warhol marilyn pic screen printed..i made it for my friends baby with very thin quilting and in soft pink, red, white and navy blue squares..
i love it!

Kelly1978 Thu 01-Jun-06 12:26:25

I really like the design, but why marilyn for a baby? Am I missing something? <confused>

TheHonArfy Thu 01-Jun-06 12:26:52

BOB that is really cool
I bet you could sell something like that in a poncy baby shop - and get it featured in Junior. don't know if you might have to check the copyright of the Warhol image though.
but you could do other prints of baby stuff

JackieNo Thu 01-Jun-06 12:28:35

That's fab! Could you do it with a pic of the baby itself, personalised?

mousiemousie Thu 01-Jun-06 12:28:59

Really like the design but it's not an abviously baby design...maybe a different Warhol print would be better to market as a baby blanket - the cow or the soup or something?

And might there be a copyright issue if you sell them? How about creating a print of your own and transferring it onto fabric?

Homemade stuff like this is red hot in my book!

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:29:31

no reason for marilyn for a baby..my friend had seen our bed spread (the one in the pic) and loved it..and i thought it'd be cool to make a smaller softer one for her baby..better than winnie the pooh et al..lol

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:32:00

jackieno..yes..as i do screen printing i can make a similar image from any photo..

i know i couldnt sell the marilyn print..just posted these as an idea of what i do..lol

TheHonArfy Thu 01-Jun-06 12:33:33

well the concept is great BOB

Kelly1978 Thu 01-Jun-06 12:33:59

warhol mickymouse

Kelly1978 Thu 01-Jun-06 12:34:41

personalised would be great. Really unusual and a great keepsake for a gift idea.

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:35:52

well my hope is to get established enough to take comissions..i.e have a pic. sent to me, yto make a quilt/ printed t shirt..whatever..
can't believe i can't upload my other pics..i have much better stuff!
please keep an eye out as when i find and post them i'd like feedback..

mousiemousie Thu 01-Jun-06 12:36:52

please post more!

suejonez Thu 01-Jun-06 12:36:53

I love it - would buy one for a baby if it either had the baby's picture (Warholised of course) or something just more suitable to a baby as the picture. Different to the run of the mill.

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:38:58

i did a pic of my d.p 'warholised' for my m.i.l when i was 18..and she still has it pride of place above her fireplace..lol

it's so easy to do...to make a stylised image from a photo..then i can print it onto anything..

TheHonArfy Thu 01-Jun-06 12:39:09

personalised stuff is so popular, and most of the stuff you see is really naff, so this kind of thing is great.

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:40:14

i'm happy with all this enthusiasm though..i haven't worked for a over a year..am at home with my baby and would love to make money without stepping back into the rat race..

JackieNo Thu 01-Jun-06 12:40:58

How much do you think you would charge for a baby sized one?

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:42:19

well..it would depend..if I did it on standard coton probably £20 ish..but then if it was with organic cotton, or on silk a litle more..

suejonez Thu 01-Jun-06 12:42:21

Oooh JackieNo's tempted....

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:43:18

oh..and they are very washable!lol i know thats always essential with baby things.. i buy really good dyes that don't run..

JackieNo Thu 01-Jun-06 12:43:18

I am! They really are gorgeous. Think you should/could charge more, really.

suejonez Thu 01-Jun-06 12:44:48

£20 for cotton for MN'ers £35 to everyone else!

Oooh now I'm tempted too!

babyonboard Thu 01-Jun-06 12:45:20

i don't know..i mean, after buying materials they cost me around £13 each..then the time factor, but i enjoy doing that bit..
don't want to rip people off..but do you think they would be worth more!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: