Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Camping Trip

(14 Posts)
BROWNY Fri 08-Apr-05 13:11:04

Had anyone got any tips for me, I'm soon to go on my 1st camping trip with my hubby and four children - what do I need to take? HELP!

helsy Fri 08-Apr-05 13:14:14

A tent would be good

vict17 Fri 08-Apr-05 13:15:22

sleeping bags, cool box, things to cook with ie camping stove, BBQ, fly spray

FastasleepTheInsomniac Fri 08-Apr-05 13:18:22

Make sure to take something comfy to sleep on like lylos or however you spell that, otherwise you'll get done in by the bumps and roots etc under your tent...comfy things to sit on when you're eating...you can tell I'm thinking about comfort only today lol....one of those stove top kettles is good too

FastasleepTheInsomniac Fri 08-Apr-05 13:20:11

Take some travel games too so the older kids won't be amazingly bored if you get stuck somewhere and it's raining

otto Fri 08-Apr-05 13:30:23

I keep all our camping kitchen stuff in plastic crates with lids that we can stack up in the tent. I also have a laundry basket from Ikea which is like a spring thing, so folds completely flat for travel, but is really handy for throwing in dirty laundry so it doesn't end up scattered around the tent.

BROWNY Fri 08-Apr-05 13:33:07

Thanks girls for all the advice! I've got airbeds (can't spell lie-lows! ha, ha), sleeping bag beds for dd's and ds, travel cot for baby and sleeping bags, blankets (it's bound to be freezing!). Need to get one of those little two ring burner stove thingies, can anyone recommend which one's best? Are the battery air pumps better than the ones you plug into the car cigarete lighter.

Keep the advice coming - I'm writing a list!!

otto Fri 08-Apr-05 13:35:59

A washing up bowl is handy for carrying washing up to and from the sinks. It's also a good idea to take have a plastic box in which to store food in case squirrels or mice or anything else like that get in the tent.

I've always thought it would be handy to have a hanging storage thing in the tent too to hold books, watches, glasses etc as all of those things can easily get lost under sleeping bags and washing.

otto Fri 08-Apr-05 13:43:18

Sorry to keep on posting, we haven't been camping for two years, so am a bit rusty.

We have a two-ring coleman cooker which is good as it's got a lid and you can leave it outside. It also has a grill which is a waste of time. We also have a stand to put it on to save having to bend over all the time.

You'll also need some lighting for when it gets dark. We have a small gas lamp which we use outside and a battery operated night light . This can be left in the tent when the children go to bed so they don't get scared.

We also have camping chairs which are really useful when you get old like me. Also saves you having to sit on damp grass.

otto Fri 08-Apr-05 13:52:16

And another thing, or things. Take a small plastic container to keep your matches in as the box can often get damp overnight. We also have one of those ignition things for the cooker in case we lose the matches. I'm assuming you'll be taking a cool box with you. If you are it's a good idea to take a few ice packs because the campsite office will usually freeze them so you can have a constant supply of frozen ones to keep milk and other dairy stuff fresh. Write your name on the side of them before you go.

sallystrawberry Fri 08-Apr-05 14:00:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BROWNY Fri 08-Apr-05 14:13:57

Thanks otto and sallystrawberry! You're making me realise I'm going to have to pack less clothes to make room for all these essentials. I didn't even think of a washing-up-bowl, just goes to show I need all the help I can get. Thanks again, keep them coming!

otto Fri 08-Apr-05 14:32:55

When and where are you going Browny? We haven't been for over a year as ds was very small last year and a terrible sleeper. I wasn't sure I'd be able to cope with getting up 5 times in the night in the freezing cold in the tent. We'll be going this year though.

MumOnaMission Fri 08-Apr-05 15:16:22

Hot water bottles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now