Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Seeking friend in orpington

(8 Posts)
sar3 Tue 01-Mar-05 20:15:41

HI all,

my husband has just been offered a job in the area and we have been looking at a house in orpington. i've done some research and it is all so negative about orpington. is it really that bad? can anyone give me some inside info.

i have 3 children and if we move i won't have any friends in the area, anyone want to be my friend lol?? and meet up etc?

tia

sarahxx

KBear Tue 01-Mar-05 20:38:11

Hi Sar3, check out the meet-up's threads - there are MNers from Orpington there. I live near Bexleyheath but I don't know Orpington well enough to be able to help.

Have you checked out the Newsshopper for the area - might give you info. www. newsshopper.co.uk I think or may be .com.

Kbear

Portly Tue 01-Mar-05 20:59:12

hi Sar3 - I dont think Orpington is that bad?!? Just has good and bad bits like anywhere. I'm in Bromley which is only a few miles away - we also looked at living in Orpington a couple of years ago, but prefer Bromley!

BEKsmum Tue 01-Mar-05 21:10:03

Got to agree with Portly, I'm also in Bromley, but Orpington isn't that bad, I'd say personally that the memorial end of the high street is better, you'll understand where I mean when you start househunting.

Can recommend a very good music class for little ones in Orpington, which I go to in the meuseum, next to the library called Music for Little People, classes are friendly and the teacher is brilliant. We've been going since ds was about 6ths old, he's now 3!

Best of luck in your move, Petts Wood and Bromley are nice areas too and it only takes about 20 minutes to drive from Bromley to Orpington (used to work in Orpington too), so you could always try to persuade you dh to move here instead.

Jimjams Tue 01-Mar-05 21:10:47

I used to live in Bromley and liked it. We looked at Orpington but preferred Bromley although they kind of run into each other anyway.

bambi06 Tue 01-Mar-05 21:12:13

were in bromley/beckenham

Amberlilli Sat 05-Mar-05 11:36:18

Sar3
I see this thread has dried up which probably isn't much help to you!
How old are your children?
I'm in Eltham which is about 20 mins away.
I have two girls 5 and 21 months.

Miriam2 Sat 05-Mar-05 19:20:26

Sorry, has been a few days, hope you'll check this thread. Haven't been to Orpington in a while but from what I remember it is an unremarkable south East London suburb- but that is not necessarily a bad thing! It has good schools, nice houses, parks, good facilities, and if the shops are a bit dull, you are not far from the Glades in Bromley, or, better yet, Bluewater. It's a good place for families and you're very near nice countryside and easy to get to Gatwick or the south coast. There are a lot worse places you could be and I met some really nice people there through school and pre-school..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now