Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Largest MN Meet-up EVER !

(14 Posts)
hub2dee Wed 23-Feb-05 18:22:06

Has MN HQ ever considered co-ordinating / organising any BIG meet-ups ?

Might be fun. Might need to be regional. Might be a giant pain in the ass.

I was thinking, for example, an informal picnic in Richmond or Hyde Park this Summer for any London / SE MNers: bring partners, kids, food and a blanket, but all congregate in one spot, and have a blast.

Maybe organise some football / age appropriate stuff for the kids, and maybe an adult something too as an ice breaker to facilitate introductions etc. Keep it simple, informal, short, and when everyone's had a bit of fun we can all drift off and do our own thing: go home, cycle round the park, go for a stroll etc. so it's not an all-dayer IYSWIM.

My eagerly anticipated sproglet uno will hopefully be making an entrance late July / early August, so I might not be the right person to co-ordinate this, or even be able to come along, but it might be a fun idea.

Answers on a postcard.

MrsFROSTgetful Wed 23-Feb-05 18:25:46

are you volunteering to organise it!!!! !!!!

Seriously i LOVE that idea!!!

i am in the west....maybe one could be arranged for Bristol?

Maybe once this thread has enough support you could forward it to Justine/Carrie etc @ mumsnet

lilibet Wed 23-Feb-05 18:29:31

There was a very big meet up in Beety's field last August - another one would be good, but this time when I am not in France

kama Wed 23-Feb-05 18:31:33

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Wed 23-Feb-05 18:34:07

I think dw would think it rather poor timing , but if the concept / instructions are simple, it shouldn't be a big hassle.

Hey, and if I'm doing London <<gulp>> you're doing Bristol <<tee hee hee snigger snigger>>

Picnics are easy to organise aren't they ? I mean, each family unit needs to be kind of self-sufficient, IYSWIM, and you just need a few volunteers to marshall the footy / whatever for the kids ?

<<hey, am I showing my complete ignorance of the black art of child taming here ???? >>

hub2dee Wed 23-Feb-05 18:37:05

Maybe people who have a 'bigger' online presence / more experience are best poised to organise ?

Beety, perhaps, as you suggest <<hey, Beety, 'twasn't me>>

Last year, I think someone called IlanaK (?) organised a Christmas party...

I'm a bloke, with no kids (one on way so we'll be v. pg this Summer) and new to MN, so might not be best...

(but I have got a big gob and a good imagination)

MrsFROSTgetful Wed 23-Feb-05 18:38:16

....all great ideas have small beginnings!!!

anorak Wed 23-Feb-05 18:50:30

I went to the summer party in Beety's field last year - I camped for two nights and met approx 20 other mners and their dhs and children.

There was a big picnic in London last year - I didn't go but I believe there were lots of people.

I've been to other meet-ups with 12 - 15 people at them.

anorak Wed 23-Feb-05 18:51:13

Big meet-ups are great fun BTW. Especially with food and drink that always gets the conversation going.

sallystrawberry Wed 23-Feb-05 18:52:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hub2dee Wed 23-Feb-05 19:57:31

I didn't realise there was a big London picnic last year (I'm new). Was that the Coram Fields thing ?

Numbers could be pretty big, esp. if this is organised / publicised early on, or gets HQ nod. It would be nice also to be flexible with the day - if one Sunday (say) 15th August was raining, we'd put it back a week.

I don't know whether early / mid / late Summer would have impact on who might be able to turn up wrt family hols etc.

sally: this is going to turn into a mini Glastonbury if you camp.

anorak, out of interest, how did meeting the characters from MN in RL change your experience of the site ? The anonymity is obviously one of the key ingredients to the magic. I wonder if 'the feel' would improve / get more boring / be just 'different'... I appreciate that many site users might know a small handful of people in RL (even if only from meet-ups), but it could be very different, if say, 50 - 100 people turned up and got to put a face / dp to the nickname...

mishi1977 Wed 23-Feb-05 20:01:08

hi
the liverpool noard now tend to meet up regularly but there are only about 10 of us..however i would travel further a field to meet up..lol..sad arent i that mn is my life..pmsl

CountessDracula Wed 23-Feb-05 20:02:19

We had 23 of us at a SW London one last year. It was great fun

bambi06 Thu 24-Feb-05 13:39:19

i`m up for a giant meet up in summer..keep us informed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: