Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Aussie mums -

(19 Posts)
eidsvold Thu 17-Feb-05 12:07:21

How many of us are there living here in Aus? I know a lot of you seem to be in Perth. I am in Brisbane, Qld... anyone else over this side with me?

eidsvold Sat 19-Feb-05 21:33:29

bump

scully Thu 03-Mar-05 11:55:00

I'm originally from Brisbane, but currently live in Surrey. Came here for 1 year and 10 years later I've acquired a husband and a 3 yr dd
Looking at moving back next year though, would prefer dd start school there.

xoz Tue 22-Mar-05 03:47:45

eidsvold, I've just moved back from the UK in Jan (only just got back online) I'm in Newcastle (NSW) and I was wondering the same thing....
How many mumsnetters are in Australia???
Anyone else out there????

cathncait Tue 22-Mar-05 12:11:30

Hi
I'm in Perth so pretty far away from the action. Shame, I often read threads on all the meetups in the UK and would love to go there (for a holiday - I am dreaming) just to crash one .

Audra Wed 23-Mar-05 09:44:07

I'm from Brisbane too but living in Oval, London, moving to East Dulwich next month. Is there anyone from Dulwich who knows any baby-friendly things to do there? Baby 5.5 month's old and have never been to one of those groups. Luckily she sees a childminder two days a week who takes her to them.

eidsvold Thu 24-Mar-05 10:13:30

scully - I was there for four years and returned last year with my acquisitions - my dh, dd1 and 20 weeks pregnant with dd2!!

cathncait - you know suzywong is in Perth?!/

scully Tue 29-Mar-05 10:55:59

Eidsvold, how have you found it since being back? My dh is from Sth Africa so when we move back it will be all new for him. But we have really enjoyed our last 2 visits since having dd, & it seems much more childfriendly then the UK. I'm sure the weather helps that opinion though

eidsvold Tue 29-Mar-05 11:45:53

we visited two years ago now when dd1 was about 8 months old - I also had two other trips home - dh and I came back to get married and I came back before we got married.

I can't believe how much development has gone on around where I lived/live. We moved back to the house I had bought and rented out - so that was nice - some familiarity. Can't believe the prices for real estate although the market is slowing. Love the weather - even managed to survive a lot of hot weather very pregnant - dd2 was born nov.

In a way it was like coming home - but as you know - friends move on etc - I am still trying to catch up with friends. Dh loves it - he has been exploring and we go off to check out different places for lunch or breakfast or just for a drive.

Definitely find it more child friendly - we tend to take the children everywhere... and of course the sunny weather is a bonus.

hannahsaunt Tue 29-Mar-05 12:38:17

Hi Eidsvold - not there yet but will be in Townsville, QLD for a year from July. Given it was easier to enrol ds1 for P1 there than it was here in Scotland, I'm hoping for a v child-friendly year. Am beginning to appreciate just how big Australia is when I realised that meeting friends in Sydney for a long weekend will be like going to Greece from here for a long weekend...(they live in Manchester and quite frankly that seems like a long way at the best of times!).

scully Wed 30-Mar-05 13:25:25

Hannahsaunt, Scotland to Townsville, that's a bit of a change Have you been there before?

Eidsvold, the real estate prices scared us silly when we were out there in Dec03; our last visit in Oct04 they had calmed down a bit, but at least they are better than over here!
Anything you've found you miss from the UK?

hannahsaunt Wed 30-Mar-05 14:46:12

Never been to Australia. Have been advised re: snakes, crocs, jellyfish and cyclones but too hot for beasties. Can't wait! Dh is working and I plan on "helping my family adjust" whilst scanning the travel agent for as many trips around as poss. Had wanted to buy a camper van but since advised against it. At the moment, though, it's all v stressful at this end, trying to get heads around mortgages, paying UK things whilst overseas, tax stuff etc. Can't wait just to be on the plane knowing it's all organised.

eidsvold Thu 31-Mar-05 06:12:41

scully - other than family and friends - not really although I loved the distinct seasons that I had when living in England which I don't have now living in QLD. I liked the feel of the high street shopping rather than huge shopping centres ( although that too is contingent on the weather!!)

We loved the village we lived in and the life we had although I was working full time and dd1 was in nursery ( pregnant with dd2 at the time) Still the opportunities we are able to access here for dd1 ( who has downs syndrome) make it all worthwhile - as does the lifestyle we have here.

If I had to choose - prefer it here -just wish I could ship friends and inlaws here and it would be perfect

jammydodger Thu 31-Mar-05 06:46:26

I'm in Perth too, with my 8 month ds (and hubby).

scully Thu 31-Mar-05 12:57:51

I always thought I would miss having Europe on our doorstep for travel, but since dd has arrived we haven't done much anyway.
Move time end of next year hopefully for us, just have to finish renovating and sell the house here first....
I just wish the diy fairy would visit and finish all the half done jobs
As for all the creepy crawlies hannahsaunt, good luck with those! I think that's one of the best things about the UK - the lack of small nasty things

eidsvold Fri 01-Apr-05 06:15:53

dh had his first adventure with poisonous wildlife on Christmas day. He dragged dd1's paddling pool out of the garage and got it sorted for the girls to swim in - he comes upstairs to ask whether a spider with a red dab on its back is dangerous.... I had to explain about redbacks and what they look like and are. He came and asked me to check and sure enough - we had redbacks in our garage!! Strangely enough - first time I had seen one in real life too.

cathncait Sat 02-Apr-05 13:45:18

hi Eidsvold
yes, I did realise suzywong is in Perth - shes a fair way away, 40 mins (far enough with 2 kids yelling in the car !) I am always interested to read what she writes about perth since having lived here all my life I find you just don't notice things - good or bad.

Jammydodger, where are you and are you from Perth originally? I am in the Morley area.

scully Sat 02-Apr-05 20:46:28

my dd can't cope with english spiders but she's scared of her own shadow right now - hopefully she'll have improved by the time we move..... not that dh is much better

eidsvold Tue 05-Apr-05 11:33:30

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now