Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Evening drinks at Canary Wharf (12 or 19 September)?

(38 Posts)
legalalien Fri 15-Aug-08 12:14:59

at the last mumsnet lunch-at-CW we agreed (I think) that some evening drinks would be in order

SO

since I'm leaving the wharf at end September, how about Friday 12th or Friday 19th? (Or some other date, I am selfishly suggesting Friday as it's easier for me to get DH to come home on time and cover childcare.)

jura Fri 15-Aug-08 12:27:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Sat 16-Aug-08 11:47:53

legalalien Mon 18-Aug-08 10:00:24

25th or 26th, perhaps? (or given the level of interest, the afternoon of the next sunny day?)

NorkyButNice Tue 19-Aug-08 17:56:27

Can I tag along to the next CW drinks/dinner do?

Am moving back to the UK on Sept 5th and will be in a corporate apartment in the Wharf for a month - would be great to meet some people in the locality!

TheOldestCat Tue 19-Aug-08 18:00:00

Hello ladies

I'm so sorry I never got round to organising wharf drinks after meeting you for lunch months ago. Love to come along this time (if that's ok).

<waves at nokybutnice> welcome to the wharf for the 5th!

bran Tue 19-Aug-08 18:14:54

Me, me, me, me please.

I can make any of those dates as I will have to book a babysitter anyway (it looks as though DH's "3 month" contract in Amsterdam is over-running somewhat considering he started before Easter).

Are you going to stay in the area Norky or will you be moving out once you've had a chance to look around? I've lived in the area for 8 years and really like it, but I have to admit secondary schooling is a bit of an issue and a lot of families leave before their kids get to that age.

jura Tue 19-Aug-08 18:23:05

NorkyButNice Tue 19-Aug-08 18:25:10

I lived in Greenwich before we came out to the US and we've found a gorgeous house there to move into in October.

DS is only 10 months old so I think we'll have moved out of London by the time he's school age (DH is from the midlands and keen to get back up there).

I will definitely pay attention to any tips though as I didn't have a child when I left!

bran Tue 19-Aug-08 18:35:56

Have I already had a conversation on MN with you about nurseries (I'm rubbish with names smile)?

Greenwich will be great with a small child, the park is wonderful, I've been going there a fair bit with ds over the summer holidays and we were always over there the summer that he turned one. (I'm having one of those soft focus memories that completely edits out nappy explosions or non-stop grizzling.)

Cafe Rouge in Greenwich is very tolerant of small children, especially during the week and outside the height of the tourist season. We used to descend in a howling mass of toast-deprived babies and they would cheerfully bring us high chairs (for the children) and strong coffee (not for the children) and clean up the detritus afterwards.

NorkyButNice Tue 19-Aug-08 18:55:54

Yes I was asking for nursery recommendations around the Wharf or Greenwich - we've ended up going with Little Unicorns which is pricey but seemed to be the best on offer.

I can't wait to get back to Greenwich actually! Am envisioning bracing walks in the park in winter grin

squiffy Wed 20-Aug-08 09:27:37

Oooh Greenwich is lovely though haven't been down that way for years - does it still have that really fab pie & mash shop in the highstreet?

Norky, are you homeward-bound from across the pond? am sure I chatted with you on another thread....

Can I please come along? my MSc is just about done, new AP arrived yesterday, and I suddenly see blue skies of freedom ahead <cue George Michael song in background> cannot think of anything nicer that a bite to eat in the Wharf after work, and last train home.

legalalien Wed 20-Aug-08 09:46:15

Right. Let's go for Friday 26th as it's officially my last day working at the wharf (so if I embarass myself horrendously it won't matter).

that makes

legalalien
jura
norkybutnice
theoldestcat
bran
squiffy

and anyone else who wants to join us (issy? kiwibella?)

venue? my suggestion is the bar at the reebok gym - which sounds bonkers, but actually has quite a nice wine list/plenty of comfortable seats/a view of sorts and allows the possibility of conversation as the noise isn't horrendous. but I'm open to suggestions. (to clarify, I've never actually been to the reebok gym, just the bar - it's directly above waitrose).

norkybutnice - will email (CAT) you to see whether you want to go for lunch in second week of sept or so.....

legalalien Wed 20-Aug-08 09:54:57

Grr - CAT subscription has run out and the Worldpay link doesn't seem to be working to allow me to renew it. will try again later. N but nice, feel free to email me in the meantime assuming you have a valid subscription....

TheOldestCat Wed 20-Aug-08 09:55:50

Hey legalalien - where are you off to? Congrats on new job / office move/ whatever is going on for you.

Reebok gym bar sounds nice - like you, I've been there for a drink, not to the gym. Naturally smile

Squiffy, sorry to hijack, but can you step this way, if you get a second (or I can bend your ear on the night, lucky you): http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/2750/589895

TheOldestCat Wed 20-Aug-08 09:57:25

whoops, sorry squiffy - I mean step this way

Cheers!
<sorry for hijack, wharfers>

NorkyButNice Wed 20-Aug-08 14:27:22

Hi legalalien - I did get your CAT and lunch in the Wharf sounds great. I'll be back in the office from 15th Sept but am around the week before settling DS in at nursery so let me know when suits you. I will have to work out how to CAT people too!

Squiffy - yes we probably did talk elsewhere! We're coming back after 2.5 years in New York and I can't wait to be near babysitters family again grin. I miss the social side of working in the Wharf to.

As for the 26th, I don't think I'll be able to make it I'm afraid, as it's DH's birthday weekend so we'll probably be heading out of London. Definitely keep me in the loop for the next one though!

Issy Thu 21-Aug-08 10:57:05

Oh bother! I can't make the 26th as I'll be on my way home from a conference of Ethics and Compliance Officers <<thud>> in Orlando <<double thud>>.

mm22bys Thu 21-Aug-08 16:10:22

Hi Everybody,

I have just come across this thread.

Would I be able to join you for your next evening drinks (am feeling a bit lonely for adult company, Bran are you with me?)

Hope I can meet up with you,

legalalien Thu 21-Aug-08 16:24:01

absolutely - more the merrier. Despite the thread title, it's supposed to be on the 26th Sept now. am too lazy to start another thread...

mm22bys Thu 21-Aug-08 16:25:51

Great, look forward to it!

squiffy Fri 22-Aug-08 09:35:38

Issy. Your post had me hooting with laughter.

AziK Mon 25-Aug-08 19:05:08

Ive just moved from London was living 15min walk from C Wharf I miss it soooooooo much

KiwiKat Thu 28-Aug-08 14:57:14

Just been invited by legalalien on another thread, so thought I'd say hello, and that I'm looking forward to meeting you all. Especially you, mm22bys.

squiffy Thu 28-Aug-08 18:57:51

But I'm especially nice too!!! and Jura!!! and the others!!!

<sniffs in manner of norma no-mates, and determines to pull mm22bys' pigtails when she's not looking>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now