Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Dads at meet-ups

(54 Posts)
hub2dee Sun 23-Jan-05 09:00:17

Ermm.... does it ever happen, and would it be a GOOD or a BAD thing ?

pixiefish Sun 23-Jan-05 09:03:07

Hi hub2dee- just been reading your postings on the thread about dad's websites and funnily enough you're here as well. I don't go on meet ups myself ( too far away from any but if I did go it wouldn't bother me) but i do know that dad's are welcome on Mumsnet so can't imagine that there'd be a problem with meet ups. I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who does have experience

coppertop Sun 23-Jan-05 09:06:56

I know that jmg1 has been to mumsnet meet-ups with no problems.

hub2dee Sun 23-Jan-05 09:41:51

Thanks for the feedback.

TBH, if as a society we want greater male involvement in parenting, I guess this sort of thing needs to be welcomed, but at the same time, I can understand the women valuing time amongst themselves.

It is amazing though... I searched the archives and current messages looking for dad / dads / father / fathers / men etc. and there really is an incredible scarcity of material (considering the thousands of posts on everything else here on MN !)

emmatmg Sun 23-Jan-05 09:45:43

Dh has been on a meet-up with me, to a farm last year.

jmg was there too.

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:48:34

Don't have a problem with it as such. Might be an issue if it was meant to be a girls night out without kids. I suppose a married dad's wife might have an issue with it if he left her behind!

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:49:14

Quite a few dads came on that farm meet up too.

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 09:50:39

hub2dee, are you male or female?

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:53:25

he's male I think.

fairyfly Sun 23-Jan-05 09:56:25

I know jmg1 got a hard time once about going to an evening one and then didn't feel like he could intrude

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 09:57:30

I thought so too. Well, I don't attend meetings myself, but I think it is only fair that dads are accepted at meetings if they are accepted on Mumsnet. Perhaps not to a girlie night out, but then, they probably wouldn't be interested in that anyway!

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:58:46

YOu're right fairyfly but I think that was because it was seen as a girls night out. He's been on 2 "family" meet ups to a country park and the farm.

RudyDudy Sun 23-Jan-05 09:59:20

I'm sure dads would be as equally welcome on meet-ups as they are on mumsnet.

In terms of the lack of contributions from dads, subjects, etc that may be down to the name and some assuming that it's not a forum for them. My DH has considered posting on here a few times but is a little put off as I don't think he believes me that there are other male contributors!

romantick Sun 23-Jan-05 10:01:16

well this is a great forum.lol
being a man i believe it is fine for us dads to come along to events.we are not mad or anything.hope not anyway.
and agree if it is a girly night .men do not want to come along.
but then if it was single mums and single dads evening i think there would be a few more come along.then again i think there is only a few dads on here and certainly not many single dads if any well apart from me

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:02:08

jmg1 is a single dad romantick

romantick Sun 23-Jan-05 10:03:43

well there is 2 of us then on a site of umpteen ladies.so just bare in mind anymeet ups that we attend we are going to feel the odd ones out

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:04:58

You will but I think if it's a meet up with kids it doesn't matter then as the focus tends to be on the kids.

lockets Sun 23-Jan-05 10:04:58

Message withdrawn

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:05:30

Are we allowed to know who your dh is then Lockets?

Lonelymum Sun 23-Jan-05 10:05:42

It must be hard for you romantick. Are there no dads' sites anywhere? Not trying to get rid of you, but it seems odd that there isn't a forum for single dads as there must be loads of them.

hub2dee Sun 23-Jan-05 10:07:46

Lonelymum: Yep, I'm a man. My wife is Dee. I am hub to Dee. Possibly this is a crap name as I exist as an individual yadda yadda but at the moment we are PG and it feels like the best thing I can do is be a good hub2her, IYSWIM. Maybe when sprog is born I'lll come up with a really witty name

Yeah, I don't think tagging along to a girlie night out sounds feasible, but I can imagine networking with others (m/f) in similar stage of sprog-popping / child-rearing could be fun. I guess I should do a profile.

wheresmyfroggy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:08:04

over here lonelymum!

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:08:35

How would dee feel about you going ona meetup? I presume you'd bring her and your child too though?

wheresmyfroggy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:08:50

Sorry i meant galaxy

galaxy Sun 23-Jan-05 10:09:48

So you're Locket's dh then wheresmyfroggy? Hello

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now