Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

What to do in Norwich!

(15 Posts)
Lowryn Wed 05-Jan-05 21:03:50

Hiya, having just moved back to Norwich after 7 years away I find myself completely lost!
It is different now I have kids (DD3 and DS 8months) I have no idea what to do with them, good mother and toddler places, playcenters, pre schools - the works!
Anyone from Norwich got any hints?

keziah Wed 05-Jan-05 21:21:01

Hi Lowryn. Roughly what area of Norwich are you in?

Lowryn Wed 05-Jan-05 21:22:05

Near CnS/Notcutts area
You?

zebra Wed 05-Jan-05 21:24:44

I work in Norwich, lived there Feb-August this year.
Have you looked on Netmums?
There are decent Mum+Tots groups you can go to.
EATON PARK. Cafe is crap, rest is great.
Can you drive? Jumping Jacks at the ASda/Sports Village is ok.
Playbarn in Poringland is (much) better.
Riverside Swimming pool is fab.
UEA pool is near, but cold.
I'm gonna prattle on here unless you stop me...

zebra Wed 05-Jan-05 21:26:14

Toy Library (near station) may be worth looking at, was crap when we were there.
Playgroups: we were very happy at Jessop Road (not far from you).
I think Eaton Village Hall is good, too.
Fairfield school has a lot on, I believe a good community, PTA there.

Lowryn Wed 05-Jan-05 21:28:22

I think I have found a mother and toddler on netmums St Thomas in NR2, but yet to track it down. Can't find that many nearby though.
Riverside looked nice (through the window as was shut!)
DD adored the lazy river at the aquapark too!
Is Poringland far?

Lowryn Wed 05-Jan-05 21:29:59

I was hoping a health visitor would call soon and introduce herself, but nothing yet. I got lots of useful info from my old one.

zebra Wed 05-Jan-05 21:32:27

Poringland is about 6 miles out, I treked out there on the bus, but I'm a bit mad.
There are hardly any Mum+Tots groups in Golden Triangle, actually, I think there are hardly any in Norwich for that matter.

St. Thomas was my fave of the groups I went to. Near Edinburgh Rd. on Earlham Rd. The group at Trinity Church Hall (Monday pms) is said to be good, but I didn't like it much.Tues there is one at the Baptist Church on Dereham Rd. Friendly enough, but maybe not enough for your 3yo to do. There is also a group at UEA I forget which day, Tues or Weds. Sorry I can't remember the details.

zebra Wed 05-Jan-05 21:33:55

Are you a member of NCT? They do have several coffee mornings, they say non-members are welcome, but I think it's more awkward if you have a rambunctious 3yo & a baby to turn up and feel like you haven't quite paid your dues for them to be rambunctious and noisy.

keziah Wed 05-Jan-05 21:38:36

Unthank Road way so not far off! But actually I am a bad person to give advice as my days consist of school run, being at home or taking reluctant kids round the shops - the "girls shops" as my 3yr old ds complains!! There is a Toddler group at the church hall on colman road next to the school. I haven't been to it though. Am now embarassed at being no help.
Think Zebra is mine of info! Welcome back to Norwich anyway. Its changed loads in 7 years hasn't it.
Oh actually there is a pre school group at the castle museum on the third wednesday of the month which is really good when i have been.

Sorry for disjointed message - should be going to sleep now i think!!

Lowryn Wed 05-Jan-05 21:38:58

rambunctious! Fantastic word and good description of DD at the moment too
I will have to find the St Thomas one thanks!
I thought that everywhere would be like my old tiny village in suffolk. You couldn't move for mother and toddler groups!

zebra Wed 05-Jan-05 21:48:42

I didn't think there was any MNers in Norwich, this is a bit exciting...!
I agree about the many changes in last 7 years...
Bother me some time & maybe we can all meet up... I will drag Throckenholt along, too.
Going to bed, now.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

throckenholt Thu 06-Jan-05 08:25:13

Hi - I am in near Long Stratton about 10 miles south of Norwich. I know next to nothing about things to do in Norwich (sorry ) but just thought I would say hi since Zebra mentioned my name !

I do have contact with the local NCT branch - and as far as I am aware non-members are welcome to the coffee groups (you are all supposed to pay 50p eaach time even if you are a member). I am a lapsed member myself (oops !) but still help to organise the local group near me. I can point you to the local groups if you are interested. We have ones from 4 down to newborns at our session.

I have a vague memory of someone mentioning a play area in the forum - can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Where in Suffolk did you live ?

Lowryn Sat 08-Jan-05 08:50:13

Previously near Needham Market. My parents live in Tacolneston, so I know Long Stratton quite well too.
I am happy to report that I believe I have found my DD a pre school that we like! Treehouse nursery near Anglia Square. Anyone got any pos, neg reports about this place?

louee Fri 14-Jan-05 19:17:24

sorry late in adding messages but hiya anyway i live near longstratton but only know the ones round this area.As for things to do why not enroll in tumble tots tel: 01603 413718 good luck and welcome . sorry not much use but will ask my SIL who lives near there too!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: