Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

So it looks like we're moving to Harrogate!!

(25 Posts)
NorwichMummy Thu 02-Aug-07 21:57:55

In a nutshell dh was made redundant and has now found a new job in Harrogate, so we're moving up north. We were going to move to York but have now decided that we'd be better off living in Harrogate. (far to long a story for me to even consider going into!) Not too bad as I'm from Huddersfield and I have really missed Yorkshire. We've got a ds who is 15 months and I would love some advice as to what things are good to do in the area, and also where are good places to look for a house to rent

sAurorhal Fri 03-Aug-07 08:18:39

Welcome back to Yorkshire NorwichMummy!! Glad to hear from a fellow Huddersfield-er. Where abouts in Huddersfield are you from? Did you go to school here? Sorry, too nosy!!!

There are a few Harrogate Mums - Dr Northerner, FMV, Betty to name a few who I am sure will have lots of advice.

Good luck with the move

NorwichMummy Fri 03-Aug-07 14:11:14

I'm from Marsh sAurorhal, what about you? I went to Lindley Junior School but went to Wakefield Girls for high school.

Can't wait to be back up north, it's the just the whole moving process that is a bit daunting. It'll be the third time in four years, but the first time with ds in tow. I'm serious considering one of those firms that come and packe evrything for me. But I suppose it is a good chance to have a mega tidy up and de-clutter. Dh is a nightmare. He'd keep his old bus tickets from 20 years ago "just in case" if he was allowed to!!

yorkshirepudding Fri 03-Aug-07 14:15:02

Message withdrawn

geekgirl Fri 03-Aug-07 14:22:53

I'm just outside Harrogate in a little village - it's lovely here. Do you want town or country living?

There are quite a few things for little ones here - TumbleTots, Waterbaby classes, Jo Jingles etc.

bettythebuilder Fri 03-Aug-07 14:39:19

I'm in Harrogate, it's a lovely place to live!
The local paper, the Harrogate Advertiser has a website http://www.harrogateadvertiser.net which might have some info about houses to rent.
I could send down the property pages of the paper to you, that has houses to rent in, too.

sAurorhal Fri 03-Aug-07 20:20:35

Good evening NorwichMummy! My parents live at Lindley now - I grew up in Ainley Top and Salendine Nook. I went to Bradford Girls' Grammar and before that the Mount at Edgerton. There's someone on here that went to WGHS - not sure what name she is under now but is often on the Barnsley/Wakefield meet up thread!

Your DH sounds just like mine! We had to buy a shed(actually it's more like a small chalet ) to accommodate all his junk! Quite why he needs his pay slips from his Saturday job when he was 15 I'll never know! I have to go on secret trips to the tip as if he finds things in the bin he will take them out and stash them in the shed!!

Good luck with the house hunt!

Hijack here .... Betty, DS1 is currently obsessed with your DD!! Every day it's "When we went to the picnic with ... we saw some fish" "When we went to the picnic with ... we climbed a tree" And on and on

DrNortherner Fri 03-Aug-07 22:07:34

Hi Harrogate folks!!!

Norwichmummy you will love it here - you'll have to change you MN name though

What is your budget for renting, and what type of property do you want? That way we can point you in the right direction.

NorwichMummy Sat 04-Aug-07 19:33:34

Ah sAurorhal it takes me back to my youth, this talk of Huddersfield! We actually lived in Edgerton ,but when you tell most people, even fellow Huddersfieldians, they go "where?" so I tend to say Marsh as it's easier! Mum and Dad moved about four years ago to Barnsley so I never go to Huddersfield any more. Sad really, I get all nostalgic for it from time to time. Where are you living now? I had a friend who went to Bradford Girls, no idea what she is doing now though!

Betty, thanks for the tip about the Advertiser. Dh has actually started work so I'll get him to pick up a copy next week so we can have a look-see.

DrN et al, I realise now I should ahve been a bit more specific when I said I'm looking for a place to rent. That's what happens when you post after having a couple of gins!! So here goes

Dh is working on the Hornbeam Business Park and doesn't drive so ideally a location that will allow him to walk/cycle/public transport to work and I think we both like the idea of living in town rather than a little village. We would ideally like a minimum of three bedrooms but better if it is four (small gasp at thought of rental price ) I am trying, in between looking after ds and selling our house, to finish writing up my PhD and so ideally need a study therefore fourth bedroom, or an extra reception room that could be a study. Also I think we would like to have a garden ratehr than a yard but then again if there is a nice park nearby then it isn't that much of an issue.

I am so excited about moving back north and also to Harrogate. My mum works in the gift trade and so for the last 20 years I have gone with her to the Gift Fair each summer. In fact a perfect summer in my mind is walking round the Gift Fair on a sunny day, listening to the Dixie Band that always plays there and then having crab sanwiches from the Drum and Monkey!!

sAurorhal Sat 04-Aug-07 19:41:28

We are now living in Flockton, Norwichmummy, so almost in Wakefield. Really really want to move(still round here) but just can't get the house ready to sell!!

Harrogate is fab isn't it? DH and I used to live in a small village in between Knaresborough and York - it was gorgeous and would be great now with children, but at the time was just a bit too isolated! Often go to Harrogate with either DH or on girls weekends away!!

NorwichMummy Sat 04-Aug-07 21:24:34

God, I used to go out with a guy from Flockton, that takes me back a bit!!

bettythebuilder Sun 05-Aug-07 00:26:39

<<another hijack - sAurorhal, dh has a few questions for your ds1- What are his prospects? Ambitions? Earning potential? Favourite football team?
The meet up has left a huge impression on dd, I've heard nothing but for the last week!>>

When you move up to Harrogate, NorwichMummy, let us all know and we'll sort out a meet-up (any excuse!)

sAurorhal Sun 05-Aug-07 16:40:03

Well Betty, think DS1 may be quite an achiever Musical, sporty, enjoys reading!!!(pity his Dad isn't like that!!!!)

A
Football team though i am afraid may blow it - would be Huddersfield Town!!!

yorkshirepudding Mon 06-Aug-07 19:04:01

Message withdrawn

Harrogatemum Fri 10-Aug-07 14:25:12

hello norwichmummy and everyone else! As you can see from my name, I too live in Harrogate. How soon are you going to be up here, we can arrange a meet up! IF you have any questions about houses/areas etc, fire away, I'm sure between all of us we can help out. I have lived just up the road from Hornbeam Park, and also near the town centre so lots of experience!

NorwichMummy Sat 11-Aug-07 19:28:24

Hello there,

Sorry been flat out with getting house organised to sell, etc so not been on here for a while! We have had the house valued and have chosen an estate agent so it goes on the market Monday, v scary. So it will just depend on how long it takes us to sell our place as to when we are going to be moving up north. There doesn't seem much point looking at lettings until that point as we could find a fantastic place to rent but it then takes us 6 months+ to sell our house. Dh has been having a bit of a look see in the evenings and he said south Harrogate seems nice, is that true?!

Righ better go a cook some tea now, phew no rest for the wicked!!

Harrogatemum Sun 12-Aug-07 13:45:39

NorwichMummy, pretty much all of Harrogate is nice! On the North side is Bilton where I grew up, nice mix of housing, some older terraces and new-ish estates with a couple of schools and good local shops.

I've also lived on the South side near Hornbeam Park where there are some nice old terraces and again good local shops etc. I lived in the town centre too in a terrace just near to Asda which was great for last minute shopping!

I live just outside Harrogate now in an area called Pannal which has quite a villagey feel but is literally a 10 minute car drive into town. Downside is it doesnt have any shops other than a post office so you've got to get in your car for anything.

Anyway any questions, ask away!

MissPitstop Mon 20-Aug-07 20:39:57

If you do arrange a meet up can I join in too? I have just moved to Dishforth so reakon either Harrogate or York are my nearest meeting places. I had DS3 in Harrogate last month. I don't know anyone in the area so any advice for M&T groups, waterbabies etc would be really welcome.

bunsen Fri 31-Aug-07 23:53:13

Whats the commute to Leeds like? I am seriously thinking of moving to Harrogate in the next year or so. I work in Leeds, live in Leeds but will hopefully pass my driving test soonish. My DS is 9 months, I want a safer environment for him to grow up in. I rent, so what do you reckon 600ish would get me? I've looked on Rightmove, but there's not a lot!
Thanks in advance!

Hurlyburly Fri 31-Aug-07 23:54:55

Good luck Norwich. If you're under 65, have you thought of buying a grey wig?

notsogummyanymore Sat 01-Sep-07 17:49:37

ooh hurlyburly!

Koshka Mon 03-Sep-07 09:09:01

bunsen - i live in harrogate and would love to rent.

600 would prob get you a small 2 bed house in starback (not that nice in areas)
or a 2 bed flat in the centre. if that.

NotAnOtter Mon 03-Sep-07 09:10:23

harrogate is just lovely - loads and loads to commend it

well done dh and good luck

elkiedee Mon 03-Sep-07 19:53:39

bunsen, good luck with moving but Harrogate is one of the most expensive places in Yorkshire, there are probably other places which are safer and/or nicer than where you are now but which are more affordable and an easier journey to work.

filthymindedbolshevixen Wed 12-Sep-07 18:52:26

About a meet-up. may I draw your attention to this thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now