Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Is it easy to make friends on here? Tell me your experience!

(9 Posts)
Muffintopsheretostay Fri 10-Nov-17 09:13:12

If you've been able to make friends from mumsnet I'd like to hear about it. I hardly see any replies to posts mums make when they genuinely want to meet new people.

missiondecision Sat 02-Dec-17 20:11:11

In my experience it’s very difficult.

missiondecision Sat 02-Dec-17 20:11:55

People don’t reply to meet up suggestions.
I tried to arrange one twice and both times everyone cancelled.

missiondecision Sat 02-Dec-17 20:12:40

I do wonder of feeling vulnerable meeting strangers with your chiildren is to blame.
May work out better if mn actually organized it.

theladylovescupcakes Sat 02-Dec-17 20:13:34

I responded to a post on the other site (sshhhh Netmums) from someone who was moving to my area. We're still good friends 8 years later.

Cinnamoncookie Sat 02-Dec-17 20:26:28

I have a group of friends that started from a TV addicts thread, which ran and ran (and is still running, albeit less quickly grin).

Nearly 4 years on and there are still large and small meet-ups from time to time, and lots of chat online.

However the friendship group was a result of the chat about the TV series, not as a result of trying to meet new friends.

lanbro Sat 02-Dec-17 20:30:33

I met my very good friend thru Netmums about 5 years ago. Did get chatting to a mumsnetter local to me thru an unrelated thread as I own a coffee shop and we have friends in common. We met when she came in my shop and are Facebook friends but not actual friends!

GingerbreadMa Sat 02-Dec-17 20:33:28

Its the only thing I use netmums for. Im friends years later with people I met through meet a mum on netmums. Wouldnt use MN for that personally, it feels too "open" and there are some horrible women hating trolls on here

TrojansAreSmegheads Sat 02-Dec-17 20:41:41

ime no. people on here by and large prefer anonymity.
netmums is the place for rl friendship development.
in fact the 'culture' of being anonymous is so deeply ingrained here that if a poster chooses to use a name , say, their child, they actually get people saying is that your child's real name? you should report your post and have it deleted...

and that doesnt lend itself well to arranging to meet up.

which isnt to say it never happens.

just that it is probably the worst place to be if your primary goal is to meet rl friends. 😁

i am so going to get banned for this since mn is really plugging their local sites atm 😁😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now