Talk

Advanced search

When meeting up take sensible precautions. Meet in a public place and let others know where you are going. You can also meet mums on your local site here.

Any mums around the S74 or Sheffield area?

(12 Posts)
hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 15:24:04

Hi I'm a new mum living in Elsecar, Barnsley and looking to talk to and meet up with other mums in the area. My son is 14 weeks old

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 15:27:27

Hi. I hope you are enjoying the new place!

I am nearish sheffield, but my children are faaaaaar older grin

But just wanted to point you in the direction of Mumsnet Local, if you were looking to meet up with local mums. click here

And there's also erm, <whispers> netmums, which by all accounts has a cracking local meetup scene.

hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 15:59:42

I tried the MN local for Barnsley and there doesn't appear to be anything sad

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 18:30:28

Try sheffield. That is a bit more active, I think.

But, tbh, (and I will probably get banned for saying this grin ) if it's meet-a-mum type stuff you are really looking for, honestly, you will probably do well having a look at netmums. Their focus is on getting local mums together for coffee etc. whereas here - although an obviously far superior forum grin it's more 'virtual' mates. iyswim.

hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 20:58:42

Yeah thanks I want a bit of both really lol smile nice to meet you by the way grin how are you?

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Tue 19-Jul-11 21:39:13

Fine, thanks for asking.

How are you finding parenthood? I remember when I had my first. I looked down at this tiny (not so tiny - 10lb4oz!) thing and thought - oh shit. What the hell do I do now! I'm not sure why it came as such a surprise that I was going to be leaving the hospital with the baby that I'd just spent the last four bloody days shoving out of me! grin

This is the hardest bit for meeting people, I think. When they're a bit older and you enter the hell that is the Playgroup and the Mother and Toddler Group grin you get to meet more people.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Tue 19-Jul-11 21:42:21

Hi there, just to say that the NCT run various things in the Barnsley/SY area. Our friends live there there and has met quite a few people through that, so might be worth looking on their website to see what events they have on.
Good luck!

puglet123 Tue 19-Jul-11 21:43:16

Hello - I live about 15mins away from you - Deepcar. I have a 5 and a 7 year old so far older, but I agree - not much going on in the meet up dept.!! Pm me if you fancy meeting up. Congratulations on your baby boy. smile

hellitops Tue 19-Jul-11 21:54:18

ethelred what's the NCT? I've seen it mentioned in other places but I don't now what it is blush

magnificent it is sad I met a new mum in a cafe yesterday which was nice but otherwise there is the baby buddies group or nurture group, which I'm hoping to try next week and sometime soon I should doing baby massage so will hopefully meet mums there too

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Wed 20-Jul-11 06:48:21

Oh, that's good. When I had mine, eons ago grin there wasn't much going on at newborn stage. All you had, really, was your trip to the health visitor to get them weighed and have the health visitor talk to you like you were 5 grin

Bunbaker Wed 20-Jul-11 07:08:01

I'm in S75, but my daughter is about to start high school this year. Welcome to motherhood anyway. I found that I made friends by going to local mother and baby groups. I also agree that the other parenting forum mentioned seems to do more local meet ups.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Wed 20-Jul-11 12:39:06

hi, sorry for the delayed reply. It's the national childbirth trust. They do all sorts of baby related stuff incliding antenatal and post natal courses.

Hope that helps??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now