Talk

Can I really go it alone?

(5 Posts)
DomiMalphor Mon 19-Nov-18 13:28:30

Hello,

I am starting a business upcycling furniture and creating home decor. The creative side I obviously relish in and I am absolutely obsessed with anything interiors related. I have already lots in place such as a workshop, some stock, an Etsy shop, an Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest, a website with a blog. I earned plaudits from Annie Sloan and the Upcycle Hour.

I am proud of what I do but struggle to put myself out there. I am not selling much and I guess that's because I am not reaching my target customer. I fear that my head might not be one for business and feel I need to collaborate with a 'mechanic', someone with a more practical head.

I expect this is the downside of running a business, the feeling of loneliness and the self-doubt about being able to be good at every aspect of the job.

So in your experience, is it worth considering finding a partner and if so how would I find one? I am based in Oxford but I'm new here and don't know anyone yet. I also wonder how to interest anyone as at this stage there is no money involved so I can't just advertise for a job or anything like that.

Please let me have your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you.

Winterhatsandgloves Sun 25-Nov-18 23:33:38

You need a marketing strategy and a business plan that fits your creativity and output. If you pm me, I can put you in touch with someone who will help you very reasonably, and who works with creatives such as yourself.

You don't really need a partner imo, you need someone to do the marketing and pr whilst you do the fun creative stuff and build your brand.

Switcherpoo Sun 25-Nov-18 23:45:20

I recommend this course. It's completely free and you don't need to bank with NatWest. If you go for the pre-accelerator course, you learn everything you need to know; and whether you have a chance of making it work. Good luck!

https://www.business.natwest.com/business/business-banking/services/entrepreneur-accelerator.html?adobemcc_sdid=SDID%3D462BB51D4EF1CDBD-1A4E13EAF49DCCD8%7CMCORGID%3DC50417FE52CB33480A490D4C%40AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1543189421

MinoMlc Wed 28-Nov-18 10:44:32

Thank you both. I will register for the course, Switcherpoo. And I will bear in mind your offer, Winterhatsandgloves.

BellaNgo Tue 11-Dec-18 11:21:26

I suggest co-working spaces, even just a few days a week! It will allow you to be a part of a community of people who are facing very similar experiences/feelings! It certainly works for me and I can really see the difference in my productivity and work satisfaction level. It feels good to have a tribe where you belong! X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: