Talk

ecommerce or accepting payments online - am struggling to understand.

(3 Posts)
Acacia123 Fri 14-Sep-18 14:54:04

My daughter and I had an idea of products we can design, make & sell. She's 16 and it started off as a summer project but we want to take it further.

We think it's a really good idea and can produce these personalised products very cheaply and quickly and then sell with a reasonable mark-up. We've sold a few batches through ebay.

We decided to set up a webstore through Wix and spent hours making it look really professional...we thought it was free, but of course the stinger came when we went to set up how we wanted to receive payments for the products and we then realised there was a monthly subscription which at this stage we dont really want to tie ourselves into.

So we started a Facebook store, linked to my account. But from what I'm reading, in the UK the only way to set up 'check-out' is to link it to a website. Only in the US can you accept payment via paypal on a Facebook store.

Firstly, am I right or have I misunderstood. And secondly, if that is the case, what is the cheapest (free?) way of selling online with check-out via paypal?

We're both fairly computer / internet savvy but cant think of a way around this. It's a real shame as we've got the products designed and really want to have a big push on selling...

Anyone got any suggestions?

delilahbucket Fri 21-Sep-18 13:26:27

Use PayPal invoicing. You send an invoice to the customer via email and then they pay. You need a PayPal business account, which legally you should have anyway. The only problem with this is that you have to be over 18 to have a PayPal account, yet it is your daughter's business. If you open the account in your name for her this makes you liable for the business, and subsequent tax bill, that goes with it.
You could also sell on Etsy or Amazon Handmade with no monthly subscription costs and just accept payments through them. Fees are deducted when payment is made.

Helga55 Fri 21-Sep-18 13:31:29

Look at Shopify, you can use PayPal & they also have their own payment gateway you can use linked straight to your bank account. Not the cheapest, but easy to set up, professional looking and they have lots of apps you can use in conjunction with it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: