Talk

Running a Cafe

(5 Posts)
gigi556 Tue 24-Apr-18 12:31:36

Any mumsnetters own/run a cafe? It wasn't necessarily something on my radar but a local cafe has come up for sale in a prime position and I think it could be improved. It would require financing as I don't have all the funds for start up, but I think it would be a real money maker.

Any words of wisdom? Do you enjoy it? Any regrets? Did you need finance?

lydiangel83 Wed 30-May-18 00:03:13

No words of wisdom but following as was about to write a post asking the same thing!

eatmoredrinkmore Tue 10-Jul-18 17:43:33

Worse thing I ever did.

Never really made me money,

Now got so much debt trying to keep it afloat especially things such as PAYE, VAT and self assessment

SleepWarrior Tue 10-Jul-18 18:00:35

Do you have any experience?

It always strikes me as one of those things that sounds amazing and romantic on paper, lovely regulars, you'd enjoy making the food and it would make a lovely feel good movie...

... but in reality would be stressful, exhausting, the patrons would be annoying, you'd never have down time or enough money to do all the things you desperately want to etc etc.

iddybiddymum Mon 27-Aug-18 21:16:06

I set up a mobile catering caravan . I had no experience and lasted 3 years. It was a hard struggle initially.

There were times I would not take any money.

It's very weather dependant.

It's VERY time consuming, every weekend and everyday during school holidays.

However there were good times, and was able to take good money at times.

I sold my business so I could focus on being a mum.

I would recommend volunteering in a cafe first to see what it's actually like as the reality is often very different as we tend to see things through rose tinted glasses as customers .

I hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: