Talk

Advanced search

Under 100g of carbs a day

(4 Posts)
ohthegoats Fri 01-Jun-18 11:24:50

Is that 'low carb'?

I can't find a consistent answer online. I know it's not low enough for ketosis, but for me it's sustainable (without resulting in really bad constipation), so I'm trying to work out if it's low enough to actually result in some weight loss.

I feel loads better on between 70 - 100g of carbs a day - no bloating etc, but I don't feel as if I'm losing weight. Makes me wonder if I'd also need to calorie count alongside so actually lose weight. In the past I've lost weight quickly on very low carb, but never managed to keep it off as I find it unsustainable.

Sort of aiming for low-er carb for life, but want to do some learning about it first (ie, counting for a few months until it becomes a bit more natural).

justpoppngby Mon 11-Jun-18 16:03:25

It's not particularly low as such however, if I ever fall of the wagon -which I do on holidays 🤪,
for a week I will gradually lower my carbs to around a 100 day, then a week at 50-70 then 30-50 after that. I find easing in so much easier to stick with rather than just crashing down to 30ish personally.

amusedbush Wed 13-Jun-18 17:08:35

For me, I find that the only benefit of a low carb diet over a normal diet is that I'm in ketosis and therefore not hungry at all. It makes it easier to stick to.

I wouldn't see any benefit to 100g carbs a day and would lose weight the same way as I would on Slimming World or regular calorie counting.

BIWI Mon 18-Jun-18 22:57:37

Everybody has different levels of carbs that they can tolerate.

But that said, 100g per day isn't especially low - from reading Dr John Briffa's work, I'd say it's more likely to be a level that you could maintain a weight loss, but also have a healthier overall diet.

If you want to lose weight I think you'd have to go significantly lower than that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: