Talk

Advanced search

Lc and alcohol

(15 Posts)
BogstandardBelle Wed 23-May-18 16:53:26

Hi

I’ve been back on LC for a while and finding ok with one exception - alcohol!

Any science bods here to explain what happens if I have a glass of wine while cooking, 2-3 times a week - and that’s the only non LC intake I have? I know I expect not to lose so fast, but I’m keen to understand what’s actually happening in my body.
Cheers!

thechocman Thu 24-May-18 08:02:41

Not a science bod, sorry, I just know that for most, the odd wine here and there didn't really do too much damage although for some, too much red brought back sugar cravings.

Coriander71 Mon 11-Jun-18 18:03:54

I’ve been wondering about this too - have been LC for a few weeks now and going well from the point of view of not feeling too hungry and definitely feel less bloated - only downside is the scales haven’t budged. I drink probably about a bottle of white wine a week, over the weekend- is that enough to scupper everything because if so, I might as well try a different diet, which would be a pity as in all other aspects I quite like it. I can do without sugar, bread and pasta no problem but just don’t want to give up a glass of wine now and then. Not bothered about speedy weight loss, would be more happy with scales moving in the right direction though.

LaLaLanded Thu 14-Jun-18 16:27:06

Interested in this also.

I drink red wine or prosecco and don’t notice any changes. But I’m 2 years Keto. When I first started I only drank clear (no carb) spirits with diet tonic.

A friend of mine did Keto and even after a couple of months on it, every time she drank wine she fell out of Keto!

Maybe different people have different sensitivities to alcohol, from a metabolic perspective?

Anitra Mon 18-Jun-18 20:10:43

I drink (too much) wine and it's fine. Just make sure it's really dry. From my experience, alcohol calories don't affect me at all. Sugar calories in mixers, sweet wines, and beer do (the sugars you get from beer don't necessarily taste sweet but they are there). I've lost 5 stone in 7 months and am now maintaining and I never even pretended to cut back on wine or bone-dry gin martinis.

BIWI Mon 18-Jun-18 22:54:26

Alcohol is the easiest source of fuel for your body.

So if you're drinking, your body will use that rather than burn any fat, which is why it will slow down any weight loss.

And then if you're drinking wine, as well as the alcohol, you're also adding more carbs into your diet - so a bit of a double whammy really!

Snuffalo Tue 19-Jun-18 07:21:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BIWI Tue 19-Jun-18 07:42:33

What are you on about @Snuffalo? Of course wine has carbs in it as you can see here.

Thanks for this:

I know you’re a self-proclaimed ‘expert’ here but you seem to make up a lot of stuff or just parrot what you’ve heard without actually researching or understanding it yourself.

I do not, ever make stuff up, and I think that's totally out of order for you to make that accusation. I regard this as a personal attack.

I spend a lot of time researching and reading about low carbing, and I give up much time to share this with other people. I have never claimed to be an expert, and always put a disclaimer on the Bootcamp threads to that effect.

DianaT1969 Tue 19-Jun-18 08:03:48

@Snuffalo
Why the attack? Biwi's advice has helped hundreds, probably thousands of people to lose weight and keep it off (myself included). She does it for free.
Her advice has the results to back it up on bootcamp spreadsheets. What have you done?

Mallorie Tue 19-Jun-18 08:17:26

Not sure about personal attack but Snuffalo is right about the carbs -

A glass of wine has 0-4 grams of net carbs

This is based on a standard serving of 5 ounces with up to 20 g/L of residual sugar (which is noticeably sweet). Dry wines typically have less than 2 g/L RS and ~0 carbs.

And she's also right about the calories in alcohol, more and more research suggests that you metabolise or pee out most alcohol and just because something is flammable (calories are determined by how much energy something puts off when it's burned) doesn't mean that our cells are set up to use it for fuel. Metabolic science is notoriously misunderstood and difficult to research, though. So as a doctor (not a nutritionist, none of us really are, you'll find) I err on the side of NOT telling non-problematic drinkers they need to cut out alcohol because that's a sure-fire way to put them off of the hard work of losing weight. Life is short enough even for the healthiest of us and there's no reason to restrict social pleasures when it's not even clear at all if it will help.

BIWI Tue 19-Jun-18 08:24:46

The point remains that wine still does contain carbs though. If you're on a low carb diet for weight loss, then you shouldn't be 'wasting' your carbs on alcohol. They should be coming from proper nutrition, e.g. vegetables.

And of course there are calories in wine.

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Tue 19-Jun-18 08:27:43

I no nothing of the science here but every drinker I know has tummy fat and gains weight.

So I feel sure there must be a calorific effect.

I see alcohol as “liquid cake”. As I would rather have cake, I eat instead of drink!

Mallorie Tue 19-Jun-18 08:30:06

Ah, right BIWI, I see you're not actually reading or comprehending, just parroting. Fair enough, I won't waste my time. Have a good day!

BIWI Tue 19-Jun-18 09:48:00

What?! confused

UrghBullTee Tue 19-Jun-18 11:54:19

Uh oh grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: