Talk

Advanced search

Weight loss on low carb

(5 Posts)
mermaidinmycoffeecup Thu 30-Nov-17 15:51:16

How much weight will I lose on a low carb diet on average?I am 5 foot 5 and weigh 12 stone 12.
I have never tried low carb before.
What happens if I have a day where I slip up and eat carbs?I never stick at diets usually.
Reading about low carb on here sounds inspiring.

Lian1bb Thu 30-Nov-17 17:11:40

When you slip up, your body will gain some extra water again. I'm on day 7, lost 4 pounds but almost everything is fluids

Mumof5kiddies Fri 01-Dec-17 17:42:12

I’ve been low carb for 5 months and have gone from 71kg to 53kg, I am however very strict and desperately wanted to get into my old clothes after having my 5th baby 😊

LaLaLanded Tue 05-Dec-17 18:50:36

I lost 2.5 stone in about 4 months and have maintained since. That said, I was very strict keto and didn’t have a cheat day until goal.

My motto was get in and get out quickly. But when I hit goal I carried on! The health benefits for me were worth it and by that point ‘carbs’ didn’t look like food anymore.

BIWI Sat 09-Dec-17 08:01:05

It all depends!

However, it's not a very forgiving WOE (way of eating), and if you don't stick to it you will simply sabotage any weight loss. (It's not like calorie-counting, where you can compensate at one meal if you've eaten too many calories at another)

That said, it has an advantage over other diets in that by reducing your carbohydrate intake, you start to stabilise insulin levels in the blood. It's the insulin (very short summary!) that results in you laying down fat. When your insulin levels are stabilised, you're also stabilising two other key hormones, leptin and grehlin. This 'holy trinity' is what a) tells you you're hungry and b) makes you lay down fat.

So in short, a low carb diet will ensure that your appetite is under control. You won't be hungry between meals, (once your body has adapted to a low carb diet), and sometimes you may even find that you're not hungry at meal times as well.

If you decide to do it, here's what to expect: in the first week, you can lose a significant amount of weight. This will be made up of water (which would happen with any other diet), but also your glycogen stores (which doesn't happen with any other diet - glycogen is where your body is storing excess glucose, in your liver and your muscles). And also a little bit of fat. We have had people on Bootcamp lose as much as 12lbs in the first week - although that's exceptional!

By week 2, you may also lose quite a lot, but by now you should be losing more fat. In weeks 3 and 4, things slow down a bit - sometimes weight loss stops altogether in these two weeks for some reason - but after that, weight loss will continue at a slower pace, typically 1-2lbs a week, like any other normal diet.

So - it might be harder to follow in terms of being lower carb all the time (the world is made for high carbohydrate diets!), but the lack of hunger will make it easier to stick to - you need much less will power.

Why not come and join us on the Bootcamp threads? We're coming to the end of this Bootcamp now, but we keep the chat thread going, and there are always people who are low carbing anyway, regardless of a specific Bootcamp!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now