Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone do keto while on insulin?

(11 Posts)
Ketoattempt Mon 25-Sep-17 14:12:49

My mum is trying to do low carb but it full blown keto. Her sugars are high and they are changing her to a different insulin so at least hypos aren’t a risk at the moment. I wondered if anyone does low carb, lchf or full blown keto while on insulin? Did you manage to lower the amount you need? Hospital are useless, luckily the nurse has agreed to low carb but her consultant still says 2 slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast, slow release carbs with every meal, despite the fact it makes her sugar levels soar! She’s ignored that advice now and as soon as she goes back to carb they shoot up

OliviaD68 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:49:28

Is she DT one or two?

A good friend of mine is DT1 does it and cut his insulin in half. Now only takes the long term insulin. It’s obvious it can help reduce insulin use.

Here is a good video resource I found fascinating on the subject.

https://youtu.be/pgMizC6sQ6w

OliviaD68 Mon 25-Sep-17 18:58:33

Here’s the one I meant actually. Sorry. Other one is good too.

https://youtu.be/hxs63lOOH0U

OliviaD68 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:21:59

Keto can completely reverse DT2 by the way. There’s a company in the US who wants to reach 100 million diabetics before 2025 or something.

Lenl Mon 25-Sep-17 19:27:07

Not personal experience but if you scroll down this page a little and read the "about" sections of these two - both reversed their T2 with lchf/keto.

2ketodudes.com

If her blood sugars shoot up it seems to be v bad advice

OliviaD68 Mon 25-Sep-17 19:44:23

Completely.

You know it’s amazing how little doctors know about how diets can affect diabetes t1 t2 and now t3.

Why isn’t nutrition taught in med school as a means to address health issues as opposed to prescribing meds?

Why isn’t nutrition and physiology taught at all?

RonniePasas Wed 27-Sep-17 22:19:39

The absolute bible on diabetes and insulin titration is Dr Bernstein. His book is a hefty read and some of the americanisms need translation. He advocates a low carb approach with detailed instructions on how to do it. His story is inspirational. I think he also has a website, but this is the place to start
https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjv5NncpMbWAhXCsO0KHeZXBcYYABAAGgJkZw&sig=AOD64_0zdlOB2CzJEPs7PBwASHPlwjk3uA&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi8vtfcpMbWAhXHIsAKHc34AQMQ0QwIJg&adurl=

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 27-Sep-17 22:33:04

My only advice would be not to see these diets as the holy grail.

I low carbed for a while and lost weight, but never managed to really improve blood sugars (did you know that if your body doesn't get enough carbs/sugars it will convert protein to sugar??), then my insulin resistance went through the roof and I'm struggling to keep bs under control now because of high insulin resistance even if I low carb.

Very frustrating.

OliviaD68 Wed 27-Sep-17 22:41:06

@itscurtainsforyou.

Correction - I think.

You body converts proteins to glucose only in excess of what is needed for amino acids.

So if you eat too much protein you’re basically eating sugar.

If you ate zero carbs and protein ONLY enough for AA requirements your body then converts glycerol (from fat metabolism) to glucose for its needs - eg a bit of brain energy (rest would come from ketones) and if needed glycogen restoration for muscles and liver. But in this scenario no fat storage because insulin production is limited.

So possibly you ate too much protein? Too much being more than about 0.8g per day per kg of muscle mass.

headintheproverbial Wed 27-Sep-17 22:46:40

It goes without saying the low carb diets are EXCELLENT for diabetics. Carbs = glucose. If you low carb it is just so much easier to manage blood glucose and provided she is confident in adjusting her insulin to match her new diet she should do well.

MyOtherProfile Thu 05-Oct-17 17:25:40

My dh is T1 and has gone low carb. It's great. He needs significantly less insulin with each meal now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now