Talk

Advanced search

Easy low carb meal ideas for all the family

(4 Posts)
buckyou Sat 27-May-17 21:39:18

Trying to lose baby weight and just started on low carbs. I've got a 3 month old, 2 year old so could do with some super easy meal ideas where I can add some carbs in for toddler / husband and not have to make a completely different meal for myself. Ideas? Also I use a lot of packet / jar sauces, are these a big no no?

Any other tips would be great.. just trying to get my head around everything!

Today I've had:
2 boiled eggs + Greek salad
Salmon + more Greek salad
Some prawns
Chicken and veg stir fry with packet black bean sauce and caugetti
Baby bell
3 fairly milky coffees
Water / squash

Does that sound ok?

One more question, I took the horse to XC training this morning and I was completely and utterly knackered, felt like I was going to pass out! I am pretty unfit (blame the baby!) But it was worse than usual tirdnesss. Is that normal and will it get better?

Thanks for any help!

ErnesttheBavarian Mon 29-May-17 08:59:12

That sounds like quite a lot to me, and I would ditch the squash! And the milky coffees.

A total no no to packet/jars of sauce from me. I bet it was full of sugar (your black bean sauce)

I ried to do a quick work out. Obviously I don't know what quantities etc you had, but going on the small portion side (so if you had a medium or large portion of anything the results will be much higher)

This works out roughly at 70g (25%) carbs, 47g (37%) fat and 112g (40%) protein.

So it's not very low carb at all really!

I am trying to do keto, is LCHF, and the ratio is more like C 10%, F 65% and P 25%. Too much protein, and your day today was v. protein heavy is not good for you.

I recommend MFP to help you see your ratios etc.

Re fitness, is the weather pretty warm? Maybe early days of diet you need to settle into gently.

re LC meals for family - do you mean all the family also eat LC, or do you mean meals that you can adapt so "normal" for dc but lc for you without extra cooking?

buckyou Mon 29-May-17 20:17:01

Thanks for your reply. Apart from the packet sauce (which I think was 10g of carbs) and a bit from the milk, what else makes up the rest of the carbs?

For the family I mean where I can have the stir fry and add noodles for the rest of them.

ErnesttheBavarian Mon 29-May-17 21:08:07

Well, the milky coffee is probably each about 10g carbs. The salad at least that etc etc. Like I said, put each thing into mfp (ideally before you consume it, so you can see how much it is and change your mind!). It's sometimes a real eye opener. Once you do it for a while you'll learn about your foods & speed up.

Meal for family spray book, you have courgetti instead of spag
Omelette
Meat, spuds, beef without the spuds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now