Talk

Advanced search

Greek Yoghurt

(14 Posts)
LucyLocketLostHerPocket Tue 14-Feb-17 18:51:50

I usually buy Total as I'm sure I read that it's the best for fat and carbs but today I bought some Waitrose f/f Greek yoghurt and it has twice the fat content and the same carbs as the Total. Is this in fact better on a low carb diet or should I stick to Total?

omnishamblesssssssssssssss Tue 14-Feb-17 18:54:25

Fat is important

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Tue 14-Feb-17 22:46:21

Excellent and it's cheaper too.

SayrraT Wed 15-Feb-17 07:46:29

I've also found a Tesco one which is 9g fat and 3.8g carbs per 100g as well. Much cheaper than total

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 15-Feb-17 10:23:40

I'm sure when I first did one of BIWI's bootcamps that there was no choice so obviously things are changing for the better.

SayrraT Wed 15-Feb-17 21:35:27

Yes, there is definitely more choice now, I just want someone to bring out individual versions smile

StuntNun Mon 20-Feb-17 14:07:56

Sayyra TA-DA Yeo Valley 4x120g

outnumbered38 Mon 20-Feb-17 20:24:43

I think the total one has higher protein content (which is recommended on blood sugar diet)

BIWI Tue 21-Feb-17 21:38:17

I never said there was no choice!! Just that of the ones I'd found, Total was the best!

LordEmsworth Wed 22-Feb-17 10:57:05

Is it Greek yoghurt or Greek-style?

Total is Greek yoghurt, it's made by straining liquid out to thicken it up.

Greek-style (which is what nearly all the other stuff you can buy in most supermarkets is) is yoghurt that's been thickened by adding chemical thickeners. It costs less to buy because it costs less to add thickeners, than to actually make Greek yoghurt.

They are completely different... Greek yoghurt is high in protein, the Greek-style isn't. I tend to mix the two together half and half to get a creamier version that's higher in protein, all-Greek doesn't really hit the spot for me flavour-wise

GeorgiaOQueef Wed 22-Feb-17 11:04:35

I am making my own yoghurt using Greek style as a starter and whole milk. Then I am straining it down to make my own Greek style yoghurt. I let it reduce by about half through straining. Will this be ok protein-wise? Taste and texture is great.

LordEmsworth Wed 22-Feb-17 15:23:00

I think it's the straining that increases the protein content, because the liquid goes (so what's left is a lesser amount) but the protein stays (so actually same amount of protein left in a smaller amount of yoghurt, hence higher % of protein). (That may not be a scientifically sound argument...)

StuntNun Wed 22-Feb-17 16:43:26

The protein content isn't as important as the carb content for most people. I buy the Lidl one because it's cheap, I can't afford Total!

GeorgiaOQueef Wed 22-Feb-17 18:06:40

Thanks. I totally recommend making your own. It's easy peasy. I also use Lidl yoghurt as I am on a budget and I think Lidl products are generally very good quality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now