Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No weight loss?

(13 Posts)
Looneytune253 Thu 02-Feb-17 07:50:21

I have been doing a low carb diet for just over a week now. It was fantastic at first and dropped just over 5lb in the first couple of days. The scales haven't budged since so about a week. Obv if I put it in perspective ive lost 5lb in my first week and now into my second week but I'd love a bit more to keep me motivated. I had horrendous headaches on Saturday so I think that's good and proves I'm on the right track? Any experts?

BIWI Sat 04-Feb-17 15:17:54

It depends on how much weight you have to lose.

The headache would have been carb flu, so definitely proves you are on the right track!

What have you been eating? And how much water have you been drinking? And have you been eating plenty of fat?

Looneytune253 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:32:41

Yeah quite a bit of fat. Typical day: few berries with seeds and alpro coco yoghurt (lower in sugars than all the rest), lunch would be 2 egg omelette using olive oil and a bit of mozarrella with some salad veggies. Dinner would usually be some kind of meat and stir fry veggies. I do have fruit when snacking but have avoided bananas. How many carbs would you advise on mfp? Its so hard to keep them down low. I avoided the fruit yest and still had about 70g.

Looneytune253 Sat 04-Feb-17 16:34:39

Been making more of an effort for water. If im hungry ill have a glass of water. There was a huge difference in water the first couple of days mind. Maybe thats it?

Fishcakey Sat 04-Feb-17 16:37:09

I think 70g is very high for the start?

Looneytune253 Sat 04-Feb-17 17:23:34

Is it? I read to aim for between 50-150. Maybe the fruit then. Not sure i can do it without the fruit lol. Mind, I've def noticed a reduction on cravings. I can be hungry in the evening now without being compelled to eat stuff. Thats good. Still no budging on the scales. If i cut out fruit though im worried the cals will then be too low? What kinda things do u snack on?

BIWI Sat 04-Feb-17 18:00:26

If you're going over 100g carbs per day it really isn't low carb.

And 70g per day, if you're wanting to lose weight, is still high.

Fruit is definitely out - especially as it sounds like you're eating a lot of it, if you're using it as a snack. However, if you're still at 70g when you're leaving out the fruit, it sounds like you're eating (or drinking) something else that's high in carbs. What did you have to eat yesterday? And what did you drink? (Oh, and water does make a big difference)

Looneytune253 Sat 04-Feb-17 18:10:39

Yesterday was approx 50g carbs, which is best day yet. Breakfast was as above, berries, seeds and alpro coconut. Lunch was scambled egg (3) with smoked salmon and salad. Dinner was gammon steak with stir fry veg (lots of peppers, beansprouts). Didnt snack much, no fruit only a couple of handfuls of brazil nuts. All inputted into mfp 1200 cals 50g carbs.

BIWI Sat 04-Feb-17 18:39:29

Your carbs will have been coming from the fruit, seeds and nuts.

How many grams of fat was that? (Is Alpro yoghurt low fat?)

Looneytune253 Sat 04-Feb-17 19:01:02

85g yesterday but has been approx 50g the other days. Seems high but told high fat is good alongside low carb? Alpro isnt low fat (well npt stated anyway) sugars are only 2g per 100g

BIWI Sat 04-Feb-17 20:48:42

High fat is definitely good!

Dilligufdarling Sat 04-Feb-17 21:47:00

Agree with the pp's that your carbs are high.
When I've low carbed successfully all fruit was out completely.
Some nuts are ok - almonds and macadamias have a high protein/carb ratio.

It's been a while but from memory I was under 20g carbs each day.

Basically as a guide anything that taste sweet naturally has more carbs in than you want if you're low carbing - so fruit, peppers, carrots, peas, swetcorn, the sweeter types of nuts are all out.
Sorry op.

BIWI Sun 05-Feb-17 10:44:26

Oh, and I forgot to answer your question about snacking.

One of the great joys about a low carb diet is that your appetite is suppressed. So you shouldn't find yourself hungry between meals.

If you follow the carb-heavy diet recommended by the government/NHS you will find that you're always hungry especially around 11.00am and 3.00pm. It's no wonder that people expect and often plan to snack these days - which adds more calories into our diet, which means we gain weight (along with the increased insulin levels, which also encourages us to gain weight).

If you do find you're hungry between meals, then try drinking a glass of water - that definitely helps - but also eat something with very low or carbs. A piece of cheese, for example, or some olives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now