Talk

Advanced search

Gestational diabetes but not overweight. Could low carbing help?

(5 Posts)
MatildaWormwoodRoolsOK Fri 27-Jan-17 07:32:34

Currently 35 weeks and on the verge of a GD diagnosis, which probably serves me right for spending the whole pregnancy eating little beyond toast, fruit and hot chocolate. Could a low carb diet help me keep blood sugars down? Or would I just lose weight?

reup Fri 27-Jan-17 07:35:32

Just try no sugar and smaller portions of slow release carbs. I think that proper Atkins style no carbing is not recommended in pregnancy, (even in the Atkins book as I was on the Atkins diet when I first got pregnant).

reup Fri 27-Jan-17 07:39:09

I had GD twice and exercise really helped too. I used to have to monitor my sugar levels and for example eating the same breakfast two days in a row- one time I did the school run straight after (only 10 mins walk) and after it made the levels significantly lower.

MatildaWormwoodRoolsOK Fri 27-Jan-17 07:54:06

Useful, thanks. Finding exercise tough at the moment but certainly, should persevere.

reup Fri 27-Jan-17 07:59:20

It was only a 10 minute slow walk - I couldn't believe how much difference it made. I'm not sure if I did much other exercise except the afternoon school run! Morning levels were always the worse because the pregnancy hormones are high then and affect insulin production. And however well you eat I was told the sugar levels just continue to rise during pregnancy. I constantly had to up my insulin levels. But I know a few people - some overweight , some slim that just controlled the GD through diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now