Talk

Advanced search

I really really want to quit sugar!!

(9 Posts)
anothergilmore Thu 05-Jan-17 20:39:53

Has anyone done it successfully and kept to it? Is it possible to do it if everyone else in the house refuses to take part?

The main problem I have is I can make really sensible choices when it's just me but when it comes to eating family meals at home I want us all to eat the same thing and unfortunately my partner is one of those men who is always always very thin no matter what he eats. There's also so much stuff about the house, cakes and chocolate etc.

Any book recommendations? Or websites?

I'm so sick of headaches and bad skin and just feeling like crap. It's not just about losing weight, I have a healthy bmi because I'm really active. I want to feel good.

Please help!

Insabbathstheatre Thu 05-Jan-17 21:33:11

It's hard! I have done it before - and fallen off the wagon - but DH (who is thin!) has just been diagnosed with type 2 so we are on the blood sugar diet with a vengeance! (DH is only on the cusp of type 2 and doctor has agreed to wait for him to try and reverse with diet so is not on medication!). Week one - we don't have any refined sugar in the house anyway but spent most of Christmas break planning and preparing healthy soups/meals etc. I make all our own ketchups/chutneys/sauces and have done for a while - but now it is everything. DS's love them all - made baked beans the other day and made double to freeze some - but all gone (much better than Heinz!). Most of the recipes in the blood sugar diet are surprisingly delicious (did the fish pie with celeriac mash and that went down a treat). I don't need to follow the blood sugar diet so am trying to combine with the 5:2 and the Gut makeover, the anti ageing diet and the 21 day to being sugar free diet and for the first time am keeping a food diary - it seems to help. This is a bit OTT but after just one week with no sugar whatsoever I feel miles better (after the day 2 headache has cleared up). Also doing the exercise recommended in blood sugar - though I think me following so many at the same time is a bit much!! I am at the stage where I feel good being able to watch work colleagues eat cake etc with me just (virtuously) refraining and feeling strong. Sugar is evil I will continue to resist - it is easier with family on-board though! Good luck!

MollyHuaCha Thu 05-Jan-17 21:44:04

Sounds healthy. Watching with interest...🍭

TheEagle Thu 05-Jan-17 21:47:37

You can find some really good tips, ideas and information on the www.diabetes.co.uk website.

A family member turned their life, weight and health around after a T2 Diabetes diagnosis and they've been instrumental in helping others in the family lose weight and become healthier.

Good luck!

VickyMirdle Tue 10-Jan-17 17:54:12

I'm reading Sweet Poison by David Gillespie at the mo and having a major holy fuck epiphany. Both in terms of the implications for public health and the burden on healthcare economics, and at an individual level of the much increased risks of metabolic diseases like t2 diabetes, certain cancers, cardio vascular disease etc in line with the huge increases of fructose consumption in recent decades.

Mandelinka Thu 12-Jan-17 13:33:46

I've done the Blood sugar diet last year and stuck to it for about 6 weeks. It really worked and I felt great. Sadly fell off the vagon and was on a carb+sugar binge since. Trying again to stay of sugar, what seems to help is timing the start of the diet.
I waited after my Tom cravings were gone and it was much easier to stick to low carb and low sugar.

ragz134 Thu 12-Jan-17 19:55:45

I'm doing the blood sugar diet. Day 10 with no sugar, definitely feeling better and I have lost 9lbs.

Dontfencemein Thu 12-Jan-17 20:08:37

I went off sugar in December with a plan to have some treats at Christmas. I stuck to it, and didn't have a massive blow out, probably because sugary things taste excessively sweet when you get out of the habit of eating them. I'm off sugar again now but have decided that if I stick to it I will have a treat of really good quality chocolate once per month. I feel a lot better for controlling my sugar intake. It is very very addictive as far as I am concerned and has no health benefits.

Insabbathstheatre Thu 12-Jan-17 21:40:17

end of week 2 - still no sugar - but have bought the 100% chocolate buttons from hotel chocolate and having a few now and again crushed in natural goats milk yogurt. Have made lots of the recipes in the blood sugar diet book - all good so far and good luck to everyone else. Have looked at the UK diabetes website as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now