Talk

Advanced search

high fat low carb

(6 Posts)
RozzlePops Fri 18-Nov-16 16:12:33

Please help me understand. DH is on high fat low carb diet and is in Ketosis. OK great I understand.

Now, I am also trying to lose weight but can't handle his hardcore diet. So I have cut out bread pasta etc. I still eat fruit.

DH still thinks I am lose weight by eating high fat even though I am low ish carb, rather than virtually carb free IYKWIM. I hope that makes sense.

It makes me feel really uneasy eating a pizza whereby the base is made virtually out of cheese. He tells me that fats don't count.

I understand this may be the case I don't really have weight to lose and am training hard. But I have 3 stone to lose and spend an hour in the gym twice a week.

Fat must matter surely!

macromolecule Mon 21-Nov-16 11:10:37

Do you mean for him or for you? And matter in what sense - regarding weight loss, cholesterol, what?

LaFlottes Wed 23-Nov-16 09:11:30

Hi - basically when you eat very low carb, the carbs are not there for your body to use as fuel so it burns the fat instead. This is why fat does't really matter.

However I think it would depend on how many grams of carbs you are eating as to whether fats will matter for you. As if you're still eating quite a lot of carbs, your body will burn them first if you see what I mean.

Do you have an idea of how many grams of carbs you are eating per day? 25g (net carbs, so carbs minus the fibre) would mean you can eat high fat. Keep the protein moderate though, it's not a high protein diet.

If you still eat fruit, try to eat berries, and if you want more variation, go for melon or perhaps a small plum or peach.

Bluntness100 Wed 23-Nov-16 09:16:48

You're not really doing the diet properly, as it is low carb and high fat, and yes, you can't eat fruit at first , but can factor it in later and see how your body reacts. The sugar in fruit is the issue.

I think doing the diet half hearted like this will cause you to gain weight unless you are calorie controlling, as such I think uou need to find another option that suits you personally.

For the record, I'm low carb, it does work, but I also watch my calorie intake, the benefit of low carb is you lose the cravings for carbs and sugar and you don't get hungry so much so uou naturally eat less.

I think uou need to find a different diet plan that works for you.

LaFlottes Wed 23-Nov-16 10:17:17

Rozzlepops - I agree with Bluntness above really - it definitely works, I've gone from a size 14 to a size 10 and from weighing 12 stone 2 to weighing 9 stone 12. I'm 5ft 8. I've done this over the course of a year and have exercised a lot too.

I think cutting out the sugar was a big thing for me too, so low carb but also no sugar. I've been super strict though.

I think if you eat lots of fat but still eat carbs there is a danger of gaining weight, although the no sugar would still be helping.

I would say try it properly for 6 weeks, maybe the lead up to Christmas and see how you get on, or perhaps give a different diet a try. I don't mean to be negative but it would be a shame to put effort into something that's not going to work.

MaryThorne Fri 30-Dec-16 10:07:41

You can find a good explanation of how it works here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#theory

I highly recommend the rest of the Diet Doctor website as a resource for a low carb high fat way of eating. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now