Store cupboard low card food?

(9 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Thu 06-Oct-16 07:37:36

Is there such a thing?

I like to keep a few store cupboard meals up my sleeve for days when I'm not prepared. I know low carbing is focusing on fresh u processed food. It I'm wondering if there is such thing as a store cupboard meal that I can keep ready for emergencies. Today for instance my daughter is covered in chicken pox and I have no fresh food in!

Rumtopf Thu 06-Oct-16 07:40:53

I hadn't thought about it that way before but you're right, all of my store cupboard meal basics are very carby - pasta, rice, noodles, flour to make bread or pizza dough etc.

wobblywonderwoman Thu 06-Oct-16 07:43:14

Freezer ?

KP86 Thu 06-Oct-16 07:52:29

'Eat water' brand zero carb noodles, or Atkins pasta if you are so inclined

Tinned tomatoes (check carb contents)

I think a lot of pestos are ok

Ingredients to make up a bulk lot of Mexican seasoning (google for Linda's low carb taco seasoning)

Stock cubes and herbs/spices, garlic

Coconut flour/almond meal

Natvia or other sweetener

Almonds

Cocoa

80%+ chocolate

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Thu 06-Oct-16 07:55:29

I make a muffin that's brilliant for days like this. Melt a tbspn of butter in a mug, add 3 tbspn ground almonds, 1tbspn coconut flour, 1/4 tspn baking powder, 1 egg and a drop of water. Mix well and microwave for 90 seconds. Makes a lovely muffin you can slice and just butter but I prefer it toasted first.

Sometimes I add some mixed spice and cinnamon to make a sweeter one but not keen on sweeteners so prefer it without.

Apart from that my go to cupboard snacks are nuts (almonds are my fave).

Cheese strips, babybel etc are good too as last ages in the fridge.

PlantpotPookins Fri 07-Oct-16 12:06:25

Eggs, nuts, peanut butter, frozen fruit and veg, mince and chicken (i know these are freezer foods but they are things i always keep in), tinned tomatoes.

If i have these in i can make omlette, stir fry, casserole, peanut butter on apple slices, smoothies etc

houseofpain Sat 08-Oct-16 20:38:13

If you like them fir snacks or to make as salad, tinned fish (mackerel, sardines etc), olives. I also keep cauli rice in freezer for emergencies.

BIWI Sat 08-Oct-16 20:41:37

tins of tuna (and other tinned fish)
jarred olives/gherkins
Bare Naked noodles

Always, always eggs

And in the fridge - cheese, bacon, hard boiled eggs, mayo

In the freezer - whenever I make something I always make too much, so freeze what's leftover.

And always have meat of some kind, and (low carb) sausages

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Thu 13-Oct-16 04:23:14

Eggs. I usually keep a few hard boiled ones in the fridge. Plus fresh eggs can be turned into omelettes in a few minutes.

Tins of tuna are useful. Brazil nuts. Most of my low carb meals though come from the fridge, not the store cupboard. I have tried packets of cauli rice in the past, they are long life and taste ok if you mix them with a tasty sauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now