Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about gallstones and LCHF?

(4 Posts)
Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sat 25-Jun-16 10:16:55

I've recently started LCHF and apart from a spectacular post-Referendum-what-the-fuck-will-happen-now fallout I've been finding it fairly enjoyable due to my love of cream, butter and eggs!

But DM is worried about gallstones. She had gallstones a few years ago and the advice given to her was steer clear of all fats. This worked for her until she had surgery.

It seems to go against the premise of LCHF (although it could be something to do with the types of cholesterol OR the fact that she did use to consume lots of other food groups too).

The NHS and conventional websites don't seem to have caught up to the recent revelations regarding saturated fat so could find nothing informative there..

Anyone?

CarpeJugulum Sat 25-Jun-16 10:20:39

I had gallstones, had my gallbladder removed and I can't do LCHF without pain and upset stomachs. The same applies to 5:2.

I spoke to my GP and he said it was because the gallbladder helps to break down fats and makes bile more concentrated; so without it, my stomach can't process fats as well as previously.

If I have a flare up then I find starchy food (so carbs) work best at evening me out and soothing the problem.

It's a bugger.

SauvignonPlonker Sat 25-Jun-16 10:24:36

The NICE guidelines say that you should only avoid foods & drinks which trigger symptoms in you as an individual. So if you're ok with LCHF then it's ok to continue.

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sat 25-Jun-16 11:08:39

Thanks Carpe that does seem to make sense. Sorry for your situation though. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now