Talk

Advanced search

Calling BIWI! MFP macros

(13 Posts)
Somanyillustrations Tue 22-Mar-16 11:14:36

I am having a lot of success with low carbing, mainly from following advice on here. I want to make myself a bit more accountable for my slip ups though, and have started logging my meals on myfitnesspal. I'm not sure how to adjust my goals to account for low carb though, what percentage of diet should be carb/protein/fat? Any ideas?

StuntNun Tue 22-Mar-16 17:43:23

I would say 5-10% carbs, 20-25% protein and 70% fat.

BIWI Tue 22-Mar-16 22:10:46

What she said!

Somanyillustrations Tue 22-Mar-16 22:12:04

Fabulous, thank you both!

WestCoastDreamin Sat 30-Apr-16 14:17:27

can I ask a macro-question too? I'm working on <10% carbs a day (and mostly succeeding) but it still seems high in terms of grams! Which should I prioritise; staying below 20g or below 10%.

BIWI Mon 02-May-16 15:38:04

Below 20g is very low. If you're doing around 10% what does that equate to in terms of grams?

WestCoastDreamin Tue 03-May-16 10:52:19

averages about 34-45g looking at myfitnesspal - sometimes as his as 60g though!

BIWI Wed 04-May-16 21:38:46

60g is a bit high, I think.

But ...

- are you still losing weight? If so, then it's fine. If not, then you need to drop the carbs a bit, down from 60g.

- MFP isn't the most reliable of sources, as it's an American site, and relies on other people entering data correctly

So again, as long as you're losing weight, then your carb levels are fine!

WestCoastDreamin Thu 05-May-16 11:07:11

thanks! yes, still losing weight so will just keep an eye on it for now.

Would you recommend an alternative to mfp?

BIWI Thu 05-May-16 13:47:21

I don't know of one. To be honest, the reason Bootcamp is like it is, is so that there isn't any counting/weighing/measuring!

WestCoastDreamin Thu 05-May-16 14:29:53

I can see that I would be more comfortable with that further down the line once I've developed my judgement a bit.

BIWI Thu 05-May-16 20:00:22

If you just follow Bootcamp rules, I promise you it will work!

miffy49 Fri 06-May-16 13:01:53

You can trust Biwi! It really does work if you follow the rules. No need to mess about counting. You don't want to have to worry about carb counts for the rest of your life, that's what leads to going off the rails later. You will learn what suits you for weight loss and energy etc.

As Biwi has said, sites like MFP and Fat Secret are US based and their labelling of carbs is different from ours in the UK. It confuses a lot of people and so you could find that the info has been entered wrongly. Its because they include fibre in the carb count so they deduct it and use 'net carbs'. In the UK the label is already the net carb count. See, stick to Boot Camp rules and save the worry! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now