Whey Protein

(11 Posts)
LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 24-Feb-16 08:23:30

Does anyone know if it's OK to use 100% whey concentrate mixed with water or almond milk as a meal replacement? I've been low carbing for a while now but eat far too much cheese, nuts and double cream. I've actually started gaining weight back again even though my diet hasn't changed. I have thought about trying whey protein powder but don't want one with loads of sweeteners etc added so thought about just blending it with cocoa powder and water to make a shake. Was hoping if I did this 3 times a day for a few days I might drop a couple of pounds.

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 24-Feb-16 13:42:30

Hopeful bump

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 24-Feb-16 14:09:40

Hi - my husband told me not to when I suggested the same thing - said it's likely to cause kidney damage ?!! I use it after a workout still but only once a day !

creampie Wed 24-Feb-16 16:29:48

It won't cause renal damage if your kidneys are healthy. This is fine to do. It's pretty much slim fast but without all the extra nutritional vitamins added, so you might want to make sure you're taking a good multi vitamin too.

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Wed 24-Feb-16 19:28:49

OnePlan - I did wonder the same thing but figured that it would only be about 45g of protein a day over 3 shakes so not too much.

Thanks Creampie I will get a good multi vit to take too. I'm only talking a few days just to get back on track really. I don't understand why I'm gaining weight all of a sudden as I'm not eating or drinking more or differently. It's like my bodies decide fed that I've been low carb for quite a while but it's had enough. I like this WOE though, it suits me better and if I start eating carbs again I lose the ability to regulate my eating and just graze snack constantly.

creampie Thu 25-Feb-16 11:49:48

I can't link but Precision Nutrition do a good article on weight loss plateaus. It's called something like "have I permanently damaged my metabolism?". See if you can see it on google , it's worth a read xx

creampie Thu 25-Feb-16 11:51:31

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage

This one xx

creampie Thu 25-Feb-16 11:52:16

Oh, it appears I can link blush

LucyLocketLostHerPocket Thu 25-Feb-16 14:35:38

Will have a look now thank you.

ShakeItOff2016 Wed 02-Mar-16 11:11:28

Hi Lucy. I would definitely advise against whey products as they cause inflammation. If you need any help with your nutrition feel free to message me :-)

Eggsandketchup Wed 02-Mar-16 11:16:41

I'm doing low carb and I have a whey protein shake per day pretty much. I get mine from myprotein.com - they do such lovely flavours - I recommend the lemon cheesecake! The weight is falling off me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now