Talk

Advanced search

Low GI for kids

(13 Posts)
RomiiRoo Mon 19-Oct-15 06:47:03

Hi there
DS has weight issues and we are doing a low GI eating plan. Anyone else do this? I don't even know what section to put this in.
Curious to hear other stories, if there are anyflowers

00100001 Mon 19-Oct-15 12:33:03

Does your DS eat most foods?

RomiiRoo Mon 19-Oct-15 13:50:40

Yes, he is not at all picky, fortunately. DD is another matter but she is fine weight-wise. DS will eat green veg, cucumber, carrots etc; the problem is that refined carbs and high GI foods seem to just leave him hungry for more, and this has an effect! So I have switched to wholemeal pasta, trying to cut down bread, do alternative breakfasts than cereal (now only have low sugar, whole meal cereals anyway) but I am a bit at the start of this. He already has no added sugars; been doing that since January.

00100001 Mon 19-Oct-15 14:35:10

Up his protein. Give him omelettes etc

00100001 Mon 19-Oct-15 14:35:43

Eggs for breakfast will fill him up. smile

MarkRuffaloCrumble Mon 19-Oct-15 14:57:00

My DS has been some tummy trouble and is a bit overweight, so we are cutting out wheat to see if that helps him (DP is gluten free). I've been making him little rolled up slices of ham with cream cheese and spinach inside for his lunch box. Boiled eggs and little pots of salmon/tuna. It's more work than just making a sandwich but I think it must be more filling for him as I've tried low carb eating before and it's true that the protein is more filling than carbs.

One thing that has made it a bit more interesting is buying some bento box making stuff from ebay, they have these little moulds for shaping boiled eggs and nice little boxes to keep things separate so if you put chopped veg and fruit and some meat/eggs/cheese they don't all get muddled up. It makes a small amount of food look a bit more appealing too!

fitzbilly Mon 19-Oct-15 18:53:30

Hi, my DS has been low carving since April, and it has been really good for him.

He was starting to get a little bit of a belly, and he was always hungry, always eating and didn't seem to fell full for long. I was despairing, and worrying that he would gain weight, so I talked to him and he agreed to try low carb. Now he isn't hungry between meals, doesn't need to eat as much, is very lean, has grown about four inches in height and has less mood swings too! He said he doesn't feel so up and down.

He is twelve, makes his own breakfast and takes a packed lunch to school. He sometimes has carbs for example if e go to someone else's house or he is invited to a party, but at home he has no carbs apart from those in veg.

For our evening meal I always cook the same thing for all of us, so no carbs, but sometimes I but the no carb rice or noodles for DS and then dh and I have normal rice or noodles.

I would highly recommend it.

RomiiRoo Mon 19-Oct-15 20:01:34

Thank you so much for your responses. I have to say the change in behaviour since I tried to cut out all sugars is already noticeable, but I still notice a refined carb rush, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the food suggestions. I have to cover morning snack for school, packed lunch and afternoon snack with childminder, so I definitely need to build up a repertoire of things to keep variety! I have got various Sistema boxes, which are great, but I am not familiar with Bento boxes.

Well, I am chopping and packing and organising boxes this eveningsmile

RomiiRoo Sat 24-Oct-15 11:13:46

First week of new eating plan at school seemed to go okay, though EVERYBODY at school has fish and chips on Friday and I stood my ground and said no. We had agreed one school lunch a week, and he chose that for Wednesday. But packed lunches and low GI snacks at break are being eaten, so that is a good start. I started making my own bread again (reading up on how to reduce the GI there. We are talking about balanced, healthy meals and as he likes facts and figures, he seems to (mostly) be getting on board.

00100001 Sat 24-Oct-15 12:25:41

good news smile

MarkRuffaloCrumble Sat 24-Oct-15 12:34:10

Can you post some of your snack ideas/recipes here please, it would be great to have some new ideas.

00100001 Sat 24-Oct-15 13:13:57

we have omelette "bites" in the fridge - just basically a baked omelette cut up onto chunks smile

Also - have cubes of cheese, veggie sticks, boiled eggs available.

We also make veggie crisps from carrots and parsnips etc smile

fitzbilly Sat 24-Oct-15 13:58:10

Some of the things DS has as snacks:

Hard boiled eggs

Cheese

Salami

Blueberries and yogurt

Nuts

Sugar free peanut butter spread on apple slices

An apple

Greek yogurt with some seeds

To be honest though, apart from one snack when he gets home from school, he doesn't really snack any more, as he didn't feel as hunger in between meals like he used to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: