Talk

Advanced search

I'm new and have some questions, please

(7 Posts)
OneTwoOrThree Sun 07-Jun-15 20:38:59

I'm on my way to being converted to a low-carb diet! I started a few weeks ago with a very low calorie diet, using meal replacement products, however quickly realised that the meal replacements weren't very tasty, so started substituing them for a low calorie / low carb meal. I'm now pretty much off the meal replacements, so need to learn more about low carb.

So, a few questions:

How many carbs per day should I aim for initially? I'm averaging between 15g-25g. Is that ok?

Is there any advantage (weight loss) to keeping calories low, as well as carbs?

Does the total daily carb count matter on it's own, or do I also need to think about the carbs per 100g of my food? (In other words, are a few of the kids crisps a bad idea?)?

Just about to buy a spiralizer - feeling excited!

Thanks smile

BIWI Sun 07-Jun-15 23:22:22

It's difficult with low carbing to give a daily amount, because everyone has different tolerances with carbs. Atkins' induction phase (which is supposed to be for two weeks) is 20g carbs per day, which is pretty strict.

Re calories, you really don't need to worry about calories, at least in the early stages of a low carb diet. However, as you get nearer to your target weight, then this is when calories come into play.

One of the reasons that you don't need to worry about calories is that a low carb diet acts as a natural appetite suppressant, and so you'll find that you aren't really eating that much overall, once you're properly into low carbing

You do need to think about carbs - your kids' crisps are not a good idea as they will quickly add up to a lot of carbs!!!

But the most important thing is to realise/understand that a low carb diet means a high fat diet. So please don't try and do it with low calorie/low fat foods

OneTwoOrThree Mon 08-Jun-15 17:48:35

Thanks... Doing reasonably well today, I think:

B - 2 boiled eggs with butter
L - Salad with mozzarella, and oily pesto dressing (6g carbs, 11g fat)
D - not sure - looking at the blue cheese and mushrooms, and wondering what I can make!

I know too much dairy isn't good for everyone, but it seems to be ok for me (in that I've lost 8lb in two weeks so far). Defo need to concentrate on increasing the fat content, which I don't find easy.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions smile

OneTwoOrThree Wed 10-Jun-15 10:32:12

Just thought I'd share a quick update. I am now just over two weeks in to this new WOE, and really enjoying it... The lack of hunger is amazing, and the scales are down by 9.5lbs, which means only 16lbs to my first goal, and then ideally another 7lb.

It's amazing how much my tastes have changed in such a short period of time - I used to drink 1-2 cans of diet coke etc a day, and now just don't fancy it at all! In fact, on previous (calorie counting) diets, I used to fill up on diet coke to replace sugary treats. Amazing!

I'm also feeling better - brighter, sharper and a bit less irritable than before. Again, amazing!

Are there any other benefits lurking round the corner?

The only disappointing bit so far, is that despite seeing good numbers on the scales, my clothes don't seem any looser. Any ideas why this is? Maybe I'm just expecting too much too soon?

I might jump over to bootcamp, and join in there, if that's ok?

BIWI Wed 10-Jun-15 15:55:24

Well done! Of course you can join Bootcamp.

Just a word of warning though - expect weight loss to slow or even stop over the next couple of weeks. It happens very, very, very often. Don't despair - you know it works - so just keep on keeping on and you'll get there

OneTwoOrThree Thu 11-Jun-15 22:06:53

Feeling a bit weak tonight. Is it possible to have too few carbs?

BIWI Thu 11-Jun-15 22:12:54

Not really.

You would be feeling weak if you haven't been eating enough though.

What have you been eating? List out for me what your meals have been over the last 3 of 4 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now