Talk

Advanced search

Can you eat too much Spinach on a low carb diet?

(5 Posts)
therenter Mon 12-Jan-15 19:16:05

Well...can you?

From what I have read it is almost considered a free item due to its negligible impact on body sugar levels. It is is also very low carb and high fibre.

I have been making Spinach soup to take into work and having it in my omelettes, salad, easy eggs etc.

It has become the mainstay in my diet in different variations ( mainly due to the fact that I am on a budget and iceland do a whole pack of frozen for 89p, although I do also buy fresh).

I have lost 4lbs in my first week so it must be ok...right?

Also what about quorn roast? I stumbled upon one if these half price in iceland and on looking at the label it says it has more fibre then carbs! Does that mean that is a free food also, and I don't have to count those carbs towards my daily intake?

321zerobaby Mon 12-Jan-15 19:22:59

Theoretically, it could be possible to eat too much, as with any food too much isn't a good thing, even water.

Spinach is high in goitrogens, meaning it can interfere with thyroid function (if raw) but you would have to eat a lot of it. Part of what you are eating is cooked, which then negates the effect. How about trying other veg instead, so you get a wider variety of nutrients? Like watercress, which is high in calcium, although yes probably dearer than your 89p. Courgettes perhaps? cabbage?
I wouldn't eat Quorn personally, but sure someone will come along and say its lovely!

therenter Mon 12-Jan-15 20:15:04

This is the bir where I admit then in general I am very poor with my veg. I tend to stick to carrots, peas and sweetcorn (all I can't have). Although on occasion I have been known to eat sweet potatoe, cauliflower and broccoli.
Time to expand my veg selection I think...oh I do like mushrooms I suppose.

321zerobaby Mon 12-Jan-15 23:09:46

There are probably cheeper versions out there, but a vegetable spiraliser can make 'pasta' out of veg, a really good way of eating veg you otherwise wouldn't like.

goodasitgets Tue 13-Jan-15 01:01:20

Random but bear with me grin
Do you like the taste of seaweed from the chinese? If you do you are likely to really enjoy roasted kale and also roasted broccoli. It's dead easy too
Also courgette "pasta", turn a box grater on the side and use long strokes to make the pasta. I fry it off for a few mins, stir in creme fraiche, grated cheese and chopped ham smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: