Talk

Advanced search

VLCD Cambridge, lighter life, example etc... Your thoughts?! :)

(8 Posts)
bootcampgirl2014 Sun 16-Nov-14 19:56:30

Hi all!

Would like some advice really. I've put on over 4 stone and I can't shift it with weight watchers. Seriously considering the Cambridge diet and have a counsellor coming round to tell me about the plan. I know it is low carb and takes you into ketosis so could any of you share your experiences please?

Many thanks

Helen

slightlybonkers Tue 18-Nov-14 09:03:29

I have done the cambridge diet previously and put all the weight back on and more. It's yo-yo terrority. You go into ketosis but calorie intake is crazily low. A lot of people find their hair thins. Aitkins or low-carb better work imho. Slimming world and weight watchers didn't work for me either.

pootlebug Tue 18-Nov-14 10:43:13

If you're in ketosis you really shouldn't need to be very low calorie as well to lose weight.

I would recommend that you read 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living' and try low carbing. It's tough the first few days whilst your body gets used to it but is then sustainable.

berceuse Tue 18-Nov-14 10:51:40

I tried one shake recently - and found it truly disgusting.

As a foodie I just couldn't do it. I have just started 5:2 instead. There is a great thread on here. I did my first fast day yesterday (successful in that I stuck to the 500 cals, ate soup for lunch and a lovely meal in the evening of chicken and salad from the Hairy Dieters book).

I have just had a boiled egg and soldiers for breakfast. I need to stick to 2000 calories on non fast days (which seems a lot).

Honestly I would try something else first - £2 a shake is an awful lot of money imo. I would have needed 28 a week because I am tall.

I can eat lovely food for £56 a week for one person. Poached egg and roasted tomatoes on toast with truffle dressing is my favourite breakfast - cost about £1.70 I would imagine.

It would be very unsociable too, not eating with anyone.

bootcampgirl2014 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:36:16

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I've decided to take the plunge and go for it anyway just to give myself a weight loss boost!

pootlebug Wed 19-Nov-14 17:14:14

Erm, okay.

You asked for advice. We all recommended against it. You're going to do it anyway. Why don't you just do a sensible low-carb-but-no-gimmicks thing properly…..much more sustainable long-term.

momb Wed 19-Nov-14 17:17:03

I did Exante (a budget version of cambs without a consellor) and lost lots of weight, most of which I put back on and is now coming off gradually. It's great if you have given yourself a set window in which to lose a certain, significant, amount of weight, but you do need to follow up with something more sustainable to keep the weight off.

Mrsstevejones Fri 16-Jan-15 09:43:34

Hi bootcamp girl, how did you get on? I did this for my wedding and lost 3 stone very quickly -2.5 months. Put it all back on very quickly.
I found it very very hard for the first two weeks. It did then get better and became easy although cooking for the family was a mission.

The most success i have had is with the low carb bootcamp on here, i lost 1.5 stone in the 10 weeks and have tried to adhere to the principles. Whilst i havent lost any more -not doing it strictly ( although am starting again) i didnt put on much and feel so much better. Its much more of a lifelong thing for me. Good luck with whatever you do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: