Talk

Advanced search

Help me support DH's low carb high fat diet.

(14 Posts)
redexpat Fri 14-Nov-14 10:34:57

Hello all - I need help with veg.

I do most o the cooking in this house (because DH is crap at it) and he announced in august that he was going lchf. He looks slimmer now, but there is still a way to go.

I am struggling with veg to bulk out the evening meals. The book and website he uses says no root vegetables. That's the only thing I know how to cook. Growing up the only way I saw my mother cook veg was in the pressure cooker for the same length of time as the potatoes, so thought veg were always grey and soft. Consequently I prefer fruit.

What nice veggie sides can I make for him from veg that are grown above ground? Tonight I will be roasting some cherry tomatoes - just found that on the MN page.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 14-Nov-14 13:27:35

Courgetti spaghetti! Use a julienne peeler to cut the courgette into very thin strips then fry in butter or coconut oil. Goes well where you would usually use pasta (eg. bolognese).

Cook Brussell sprouts the normal way and serve with a dollop of garlic butter on them.

You can roast brocolli and cauliflower too.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 14-Nov-14 13:39:51

Chop up some red pepper, red onion, courgette, aubergine, garlic and cherry tomatoes, stick on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven. Greens such as spinach and kale are lovely sautéed with some butter and chopped garlic.

redexpat Fri 14-Nov-14 18:40:28

Ooh courgette spaghetti! And like the veggie mix.

pootlebug Sat 15-Nov-14 08:35:30

Creamed spinach:

- Cook frozen leaf spinach according to instructions on the packet (steam or microwave, basically). Drain it well by putting in a sieve and pushing down hard with a mug or similar.
- Fry a shallot in butter until translucent, not brown. Chuck in the drained spinach, more butter, a big glug of cream, salt & pepper, and a grating of nutmeg and leave on a low heat stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes or so.

I cook extra and reheat it in the microwave for another meal.

Some root veg is better than others - so creamed celeriac or swede are pretty low carb and fine to eat, whereas parsnips and carrots aren't. You can also make celeriac wedges in the oven just like potato wedges.

Salad with oil-based homemade dressing (lots of bought ones have added sugar) and plenty of avocado is also a good source of fat and energy and greens.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 15-Nov-14 08:37:59

Spinach in cheesy sauce.
Garlic mushrooms
Is red pepper allowed or is that high carb?

JimmyCorkhill Sat 15-Nov-14 08:51:09

That creamed spinach sounds delicious! Going to try that myself.

Footle Sat 15-Nov-14 08:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClashCityRocker Sat 15-Nov-14 09:04:00

Chop Brussels sprouts and fry with bacon.

You can add cream.

You can do celeriac in any number of ways - roast, chipped and dauphinoise etc.

Cauliflower and swede make a good mash - we use it for shepherds pie toppings.

Kale crisps are absolutely yum. Just drizzle some oil over some kale and bake in the oven for ten minutes. Add salt and pepper, and a bit of parmasan.

Cauli and broccoli cheese is nice too.

redexpat Sat 15-Nov-14 13:10:13

Creamed spinach sounds good - thanks all! Peppers are ok, and thanks for info re swedes and celeriac, that does open a few more options. Again swedes and celeriac are not vegetables that ever made an appearance in my childhood, so need to experiment!

I think this may be my new years resolution - learn to cook more veg. And as usual MN has helped me along the way. Thanks all!

BIWI Sat 15-Nov-14 20:34:40

Check out the Bootcamp recipe thread Lots of lovely ideas there to inspire you!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 16-Nov-14 08:55:09

Fried some leek in butter last night then poured cream over the top and left for a few mins on a low heat - deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious!!

BIWI Sun 16-Nov-14 11:19:58

Even more delicious if you add some grated cheese on top and then grill!

JimmyCorkhill Sun 16-Nov-14 17:37:09

We need a drooling emoticon!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now