Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else taking a long time to lose weight

(5 Posts)
Octopus37 Tue 04-Nov-14 19:59:04

Still low carbing with the occasional lapse ( a couple of time a week, not full days lapses, all lapses have been either something sweet or alcohol), haven't eat any bread, pasta, rice or potatos for the last month or cereals or crisps. Here is an example of my old diet, as compared to my new diet:

Old Diet

Breakfast: Breakfast biscuits or pop tarts or choc spread on toast
Mid morning: Chocolate bar
Lunch: 2 slices of toast with humus or peanut butter. Maybe crisps and some fruit
Afternoon: Another chocolate bar
Dinner: Big plate of pasta and sauce and maybe a ready done yoghurt. Sometimes a ready meal instead

New Diet:

Muffin in a minute with almond butter
An Atkins bar, eg chocolate decadance
Lunch: A bag of mixed nuts, maybe flavoured
Afternoon: A bit of almond butter, some cheese
Dinner: Omlette with stilton and mushrooms
Greek yogurt with berries

Dont have much weight to lose (would like to lose about four pounds), but you would have thought with the comparison that I would have lost loads of weight. I admit to he occasional lapse, but I'm confident I have been doing much better on the whole.

Weight loss has probably been about 2 pounds in a month, thought it was a bit more but I was two pounds up today. Problem is I don't think I can do much better and stay sane so think the answer might be to view lo carbing as a weight maintenance thing when I know that anybody else would lose.

miffy49 Wed 05-Nov-14 13:33:27

Most of the regular low carbers on here will tell you that 2lb a month is about average. Its not a crash diet. You do tend to lose fast in the first couple of weeks but that's glycogen and water rather than fat. As you get into fat burning its slower than some of the low fat diets but you are actually losing all fat. On low fat diets you lose a mix of fat +lean mass which is not what you want. Better to lose slowly and retain your muscle mass.

pootlebug Wed 05-Nov-14 18:30:17

Where are your veg???

I find I drop weight more easily if I drop dairy, or most dairy. If you don't have much weight to lose, it is likely to come off more slowly….and it's probably more sustainable that way.

Octopus37 Wed 05-Nov-14 21:50:23

Hi, I do eat some veg some days but find it I eat more fibre than one of the flaxseed muffins and some berries (with full fat greek yoghurt) in a day I get a bad stomach. Dont think I could cope with cutting out dairy, think it is just going to be a low road. I would like to be between 2 and 4 pounds down from where I am now by my 40th in January, maybe I can carry on as I am and if I'm not there by say 2nd Jan, have a strict week just before my birthday.

Ditzy71 Wed 05-Nov-14 22:48:18

Octopus you need to eat more veg and salad for more than their fibre content. They provide vits, minerals, antioxidants etc. If you take away all commercial food you are left with things that grow like fruit, veg, nuts ,some grains (depending on how low carb you want to go) and salad and meat chicken fish eggs. These are your best sources of basic healthy food. Linseeds/flaxseeds are very high in fibre and can cause tummy problems especially in those who suffer from IBS or other tummy troubles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now