Talk

Advanced search

Help! How does one start to low carb? Clueless person here.

(9 Posts)
classifiedinformation Sat 25-May-13 16:16:57

I know I will have to cut out all cereal (so no more porridge in the morning or Ryvitas at lunch). I have cut out bread already and rarely eat potatoes, although I know sweet potatoes will also be off the menu now, as is anything with sugar.

I have realised I needed to stop using skimmed milk, so have gone back to semi, however, I'm assuming I'll barely need it if I give up my beloved tea. I am also assuming I need to give up agave syrup. I want to be able to fit this in around my family, so there are certain things I won't eat (like beef, DP won't touch it).

What I really want to know is what I should be eating, esp what fruit and veg is ok, as I find it all very confusing. I am also taking iron tabs as I'm anaemic, do I need to take this in to account? This is going to be very difficult for me, but I'm desperate to lose at least 1.5st. Any advice greatly appreciated.

HeySoulSister Sat 25-May-13 17:29:04

No fruit at all.... No milk but cream is ok

High carb veg like tomatoes/corn/carrots etc are to be limited

MrsHerculePoirot Sat 25-May-13 17:33:11

Hello! Come join the bootcamp threads BIWI has it all sorted for us - there is a spreadsheet with rules, allowed veg list and a veg counter included to help!

We are about to start week 5 thread tomorrow and on week four thread now - weeks numbers don't mater though come and jump in and you'll get lots of support there.

kiwigirl42 Sat 25-May-13 17:43:59

The the bootcamp thread is here

I've lost 11lbs since 6th May and never been hungry. Just had chicken curry with cauliflower and cabbage for tea and it was delicious.
I really love this way of eating. Can't stand calorie counted diets as always feel hungry and like I'm on a diet. On low carb, I don't feel like I am on a diet - I feel like I've made a positive decision to give up sugar and processed crap instead.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 25-May-13 17:58:09

Some excellent free blogs are "dietdoctor.com" (Swedish lchf guru), "marksdailyapple" (primal blueprint), and "the paleo solution blog" ( Robb Wolf).

Sorry, can't link from phone. All a re good, sensible and have science links if you want to read up on the "why".

Fruit- for weight loss, yes limit to small amounts (berry fruits are best), as a garnish to other dishes rather than as something to eat a lot of. Once weight is off, you will be able to add more fruit back in.

If you are just starting you might want to look up the "getting started" or FQA sections of those blogs for some tips on the transition from high to low carb eating.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 25-May-13 18:08:07

Definitely come and join the Bootcamp thread (the low carbing 'rules' are on a spreadsheet - there are only 10 of them, so it's easy!).

If you like to have a bit of a read about things and know the facts behind the 'rules' then you should buy, borrow, beg a copy of John Briffa's 'Escape the diet trap' - it's very good.

But the Bootcamp thread will answer a lot of your questions and give you some brilliant family friendly meal ideas.

<I'm down 31 lbs in 17 weeks - but I have a lot more than you to lose, so you might not lose as much, quite as fast>

ChippingInLovesSpring Sat 25-May-13 18:09:20

Oh and lots of people feel rubbish when they start low carbing (they call it carb flu) but you just have to hang in there until it passes. Lots of people also feel very hungry, if you do, just eat smile As long as it's low carb, just eat it! When your body has sorted out what's going on, that will stop smile

classifiedinformation Sat 25-May-13 18:25:20

Thanks for the help ladies. Will go look at the bootcamp thread. smile

LilyAmaryllis Mon 27-May-13 22:46:19

I'd just watch with the iron tablets, they make me constipated and I think constipation can be a risk too on a LC diet (I think the solution is to have plenty of water and enough fat, though I'm not super sure)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now