Talk

Advanced search

Any low carbers around? Please help

(19 Posts)
Beechview Sun 19-May-13 19:15:41

I'm on day 1 of properly low carbing.
Its been very difficult and I'm really struggling at the moment. Dh bought some nice desserts. We have magnum ice creams in the freezer and I'm really trying to stay strong.

Any motivating tips would be helpful please.

Also, would anyone comment on todays food please?

Total yoghurt, blueberries and a few flaked almond for break fast. I had a 2nd helping when I started to feel like eating cake and croissants. It was over half the tub of yoghurt altogether.

Lunch was some homemade lamb burgers so no breadcrumbs or anything in them with some watercress and rocket salad leaves plus about 6 cherry tomatoes

Some more yoghurt and 4 strawberries.

dinner was chicken thighs with some peri peri seasoning and cabbage sautéed in butter. I had 3 chicken thighs blush

I'm sure I'm eating a lot more than I need because I don't want to be feeling peckish and start munching on stuff.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 19:17:14

Just writing a reply.... hang in there!!

Beechview Sun 19-May-13 19:22:44

smile

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 19:27:38

OK - well, the first few days of low carbing, just eat when you are hungry (well you do that all the time when you are low carbing, but the first few days you tend to feel hungry a lot until your body gets used to it) and you need to eat so you don't crave carbs!

Motivating ... 30 lbs lost in 14 weeks - will that do you grin and never being hungry!!

You should join us on BIWI's threads, the support is brilliant and there are a lot of great meal ideas!

Was your total yogurt full fat not the reduced fat version?? What size tub of yogurt??

I think you are doing well for your first day, but there are some lower carb options & BIWI would say 'no fruit/nuts for the first two weeks'

I'll find you the link to the latest thread and I'll be back!

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 19:30:36

This is last weeks thread (a new one each Sunday night/Monday)

BIWI Bootcamp

There's a link to a spreadsheet which tells you the 'rules'.

... and there are a million very, very helpful previous threads if you want to do some reading grin

Beechview Sun 19-May-13 19:44:38

Thank you. its good to hear that eating a lot is normal for the first few days.

It was BIWIs threads that inspired me. I've actually posted on a thread but haven't been able to get my act together til now.

I should also add that I'm bf so I'm not going to do the hardcore version.

Yogurt is full fat 500g tub.

And wow 30lbs in 14 weeks is fab and very inspiring smile Well done.

Jacaqueen Sun 19-May-13 20:25:05

Over the next few days don't be afraid to eat. Your appetite will decrease once you are in ketosis.

I always try and go for high protein and fat for breakfast. Yog and berries don't do it for me, I prefer scrambled eggs and smoked salmon or sausage bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Try and avoid fruit for a few weeks if you can.

Make sure you are drinking lots of water.

Look out for hidden carbs. Normal milk is high carb, try lacto free or unsweetened almond milk.

Get some double cream. A few spoonfuls mixed with some coco powder, vanilla extract and cinnamon makes a nice dessert. Stay awAy from the Magnums.

Stick with it. It will change your life.

infamouspoo Sun 19-May-13 20:28:33

what Jacaqueen said. High protein for breakfast. I do the scrambled eggs/smoked salmon for breakfast. Sometimes with goats cheese crumbled in.
But honestly, some days I never seem to stop eating (I actually did it because I was disagnosed with coeliacs) and a stone fell off despite the fact I appear to be stuff my face constantly with nuts or cheese or smoked slamon and more smoked salmon.

Beechview Sun 19-May-13 21:36:31

Would I lose weight on what I've eaten today?

I really don't like eggs or smoked salmon. I can just about eat an omelette if its got tonnes of stuff in it but its too much of a faff in the mornings. I also don't eat bacon or sausages.
Yogurt and berries is the best choice for me I guess.

I'm hungry again so will have some cheese.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 22:17:24

Why not join in the Bootcamp threads anyway?

Have you had a look at Bootcamp lite?

I have an avocado chopped up, chunk of cheddar cheese chopped up with a healthy topping of Food Doctor savory seeds for breakfast pretty much every morning.

Yogurt doesn't cut it for me.

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 22:18:59

It's hard to know whether you will lose weight on what you ate today or not as everyone is different (especially when bf)... however, it looks pretty good smile

ChippingInLovesSpring Sun 19-May-13 22:20:07

Almonds & macadamias are a good snack too. Olives.

MrsHerculePoirot Sun 19-May-13 22:23:19

Beechview definitely come and join us on bootcamp. If you usually eat a lot of carbs then I think yes you will lose weight, but I think you could tweak and make things easier for yourself.

A massive well done for not succumbing to the magnum. Forget worrying about portion sizes, especially early on, your appetite will regulate itself within a few weeks. If you are hungry eat/snack whatever, again this will regulate after a while.

Don't worry if it takes a while and you need support, promise we'll support you there.

BIWI Sun 19-May-13 22:25:07

Hello, beechview! You should come and join us on the Bootcamp thread - you could do Bootcamp Light.

Make sure you're eating plenty of fat. Full fat yoghurt is good, but restrict it to one meal, otherwise you will end up eating a lot of carbs - similarly the fruit.

And drink plenty of water!

Don't be worried about the 3 chicken thighs for dinner. They are high protein and high fat but zero carbs, which is exactly what you are aiming for.

You will get masses of support on the Bootcamp threads, which will really help to keep you focussed.

Good luck!

Beechview Mon 20-May-13 10:08:39

Thank you everyone. I'm so pleased that I didn't give in to desserts. I feel much better today.

I have to do this and need to change my life. I'm officially in the obese range and am very unhappy with my weight.

Will see you on the bootcamp thread in a bit....

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Mon 20-May-13 10:22:56

I'm terrible for desserts/biscuits too so have been buying lotsand lots of yoghurt. I wondered about those meringue nests though, something tells me they are full of sugar.

I have another shopping delivery coming today I have upped my yoghurts/mousses and meats (again). I think I will have steak today orr bolgnese with no spaghetti, my favourite side just now is cauliflower cheese and I have eggs/bacon daily. My meals do seem to be larger too but after 2 weeks I'm definitely not as erm.. stodgy! I have ate chocolate though, my mum brought it into the house, I had 3 jaffa cakes last week, but going from a box a day that's good for me.

I would come to bootcamp but I'm scared to weigh myself I know I'm 12/14 more to the 14 on top and 12 bottom and look a bit pregnant.

WillieWaggledagger Mon 20-May-13 10:27:59

meringues are made almost entirely of sugar and egg white so sadly not on a low-carb menu. you have to be careful with yoghurts too as some can be very carby

do join in with bootcamp if you need advice and support. no need to weigh yourself if you don't want to, you could monitor your progress with a tape measure instead. this is often actually a better way to view progress

kiwigirl42 Mon 20-May-13 10:58:09

come and chat with us on BIWI's bootcamp. I've been doing this for 3 weeks tomorrow - just weighed myself and I've lost 9 pounds in total. I've only had one day when I've struggled and that was hormonal I think.
Can honestly say I eat so much more healthily doing this than when I was grazing on crunchie bars.

The key is to be organised. very organised. Decide today what you are going to eat tomorrow Make sure you buy LOTS of green veg, eggs etc so you have quick options. I just ate and ate first few days. Then ate a bit more. Felt grotty for about 4 days (so called 'carb flu') but thats passed now. Then found my appetite has gone.

I have to force myself to cook something somedays (remember the person who lived on crunchie bars? always had ice cream maker on the go? baked almost everyday? don't know where she has gone but she has!)

ChippingInLovesSpring Mon 20-May-13 21:59:47

My appetite went, then came back... I think it's being veggie, the protein doesn't last/sustain like meat protein does. But I'm still losing weight so it doesn't really matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now