Talk

Advanced search

Things to look forward to other than weight loss

(19 Posts)
Yarboosucks Sun 13-May-18 11:59:38

The weight loss takes some time to become noticeable, but some side effects are more immediately apparent.

I like the fact that my teeth stay smooth and "slippery" all day.
Also, I don't fart….
After a while I notice that my facial hair disappears (not completely)

What other good side effects have people experienced that make LC beneficial?

NolimitsSarah Sun 13-May-18 12:24:50

Im only on day 1 but i rememberfrom years ago:

- not hungry! Not obsessed. Not stuffed. Im just full, feeling well and can get on with other stuff than worrying about my next snack

- brain fog is gone! Im so calm and think clearly. Im more patient.. as im not hangry or at the mercy of fluctuating blood sugar

- im happier as im taking control of my life, that negative self talk is replaced with pride and hopefulness

- confidence already improved
- i know im not harming my teeth
- my skin clears, my gut is happy
- my anaemia is improving
- my period is a breeze (i was younger then, 24, Im 28 now but a diet heavy in soy messed my period and gave me PMS.) I really think low carb improves my hormones and mood.

I just have more energy and feel less achey.. my joints pain settles down.

RunMummyRun68 Sun 13-May-18 12:39:42

This makes me feel like trying this again. On biwi threads few years ago I lost 5 stone!!! Combined with running

Yarboosucks Sun 13-May-18 13:06:20

I can watch all the news about the evils of sugar without feeling like they are telling me off!

I get tired at normal bed time and I sleep better (sleep is a longstanding issue for me - I am a mad owl!)

NolimitsSarah Sun 13-May-18 13:09:29

I can eat out easier than if low fat dieting

Yarboosucks Sun 13-May-18 19:52:30

I am cooking dinner - tomahawk steak with asparagus and giant mushrooms filled with onion and Boursin. I just cut a corner off the boursin and ate it. Because I can!

FlowinElla Sun 13-May-18 19:58:23

No heartburn - last time I had croissants in France I suffered terribly.

No crumbs in the kitchen/ around the dinner table!

My skin (esp. face) looks more hydrated and firmer

Regular periods (not currently as on Tamoxifen, but it was a revelation after years of irregular cycles due to PCOS)

AthelstaneTheUnready Mon 14-May-18 18:09:11

Yes, less wrinkles! Face and hands look younger.

No random chin hairs.

Cellulite disappears mostly.

Mood much better.

Dandruff disappears entirely.

glenthebattleostrich Mon 14-May-18 18:12:41

Eczema clears up, more relaxed as my appetite is steady, my PMT is easier to manage, skin looks better and I can eat pork scratchings!!

qumquat Wed 16-May-18 20:19:02

Just getting back on the wagon so this is good for motivation!

When I did LCHF before I found:

Sleeping well after lifelong insomnia
Bowels much happier - no more morning diarrhoea
Depression started to lift and I felt generally more bouyant and optimistic.

These are much more life changing for me than any weight loss.

AveAtqueVale Thu 17-May-18 06:57:11

Agree completely about being able to get on without constantly snuffling for the next snack.

Also my mood stabilises and improves hugely - I now really notice when I eat carbs, especially refined ones, that I get a big mood dip a couple of hours later, which I suspect coincides with the blood sugar crash.

I’ve also recently started running and read an estimate that for every 10lbs lost, your speed increases automatically by around 20 seconds per mile, which would be great as I’m possibly the slowest slow thing ever.

Ragwort Mon 21-May-18 19:22:04

More energy, no tiredness (probably due to no alcohol blush) and lovely clear skin.

BIWI Mon 21-May-18 22:19:03

IBS symptoms disappeared
no thrush
hot flushes virtually disappeared

Yarboosucks Mon 21-May-18 22:33:23

Cheek bones!

Westworld Mon 21-May-18 22:35:00

Definitely less /almost no cellulite!

thenightsky Mon 21-May-18 22:36:04

No farting. None at all.

NorthernKnickers Sun 27-May-18 13:29:20

I've suffered for YEARS with the after effects of a severely frozen shoulder (I had less than 10% movement in my arm at its worst point and agonising pain!). Whilst the shoulder has now (after lengthy physio and an operation to reduce the calcification) 'defrosted' I have suffered acute pain in my neck, shoulder and shoulder blade muscle area for several years. I have NO idea how or why, but for the past week I've had no pain at all...first time in years...I almost want to cry with the relief!

Other changes: I'm usually an excessive trumper (😳)...no more! It's as if my insides have finally righted themselves 😂

Migraines...gone from one or two a week, to not even a headache!

Tummy not bloated and a general feeling of being so much happier (I'm in my 50s and have a stressful job, long hours, which can make me a bit grumpy 🤷‍♀️)

Not too shabby a change then, overall, in two weeks!

qumquat Sun 27-May-18 14:20:13

Another one to add to this. The restless legs which were the bane of my life seem to have disappeared. No more middle of the night HIIT routines needed!

mooncuplanding Tue 29-May-18 08:26:31

I’ve spent my entire adult (and teen actually) obsessed with controlling my hunger and managing my calorie intake so as not to get overweight. Calories in Calories out calculations CONSTANTLY.

LCHF has freed this demon on my shoulder.

My hunger is just not there anymore, and I mostly eat because I feel I should rather than the all consuming desire to binge/ stuff my face.

No hanger
No energy slumps
Think clearly

Also....

Pmt hell days disappeared. Get a bit weepy for a day, but I used to have irritability off the scale

No bloating

Skin better

Lifelong bags under eyes reduced massively

Sleep and DREAM without any effort

Up early every morning feeling ready to go

Low carb high fat has changed my life. No exaggeration

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: