Talk

Advanced search

How to thicken gravy?

(9 Posts)
stoneagemum Sat 13-Jan-18 20:28:24

I want to make liver and bacon in the week, I would usually use flour to thicken the gravy. What can I used instead?

prettybird Sat 13-Jan-18 21:24:28

I've sort of thickened in the past with carrots and celeriac cooked to really soft in the gravy and then pushed them through a sieve and mixing it all together. I thickened a soup once by accident by blitzing some chicken breast that I'd put into it.

Zxyzoey31 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:38:06

Arrowroot powder. Mix it in a little cold water first then add to gravy and heat.

stoneagemum Sat 13-Jan-18 22:16:54

I have arrowroot powder, not sure I can be doing with the mashed veg option on a weeknight

FloraFox Mon 15-Jan-18 06:45:53

You can use cream as a thickener - you need to make a jus then add cream and boil it down.

RaininSummer Fri 19-Jan-18 23:41:45

I used ground almonds last week.

BerylStreep Sat 20-Jan-18 22:52:25

I second arrow root powder. Make a slurry with cold water and then add it to the hot dish. Don't hang around for too long after adding the arrow root.

It's 6g carbs per 100g and you only need about 2 tsp, so carbs are fairly negligible.

stoneagemum Sun 21-Jan-18 13:25:26

Thank you all, I had success with the arrowroot powder.
I was tempted by trying cream but didn't want to alter the taste and have ds turn his nose up at it.

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Jan-18 22:26:43

I made gravy last week with a couple of lumps of butternut squash in it (I have a bag of frozen chunks, but fresh would work).

Cook/boil until soft, then puree. Gave just enough "body" to the gravy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: