Talk

Advanced search

New Year, New Start Boot Camp: Week 1, Now we get down to it in earnest

(1000 Posts)
prettybird Mon 08-Jan-18 08:37:13

Stepping in to BIWI's big shoes and with a loan of her Big Stick, I take a big gulp and lead the first Boot Camp of 2018. shockgrin

Here is a link to the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness If your name is not on it, because either it got lost in one of the many copy and pastes, or because you "signed up" after 0732 on Friday, which was when SayrraT produced the spreadsheet, you can add your name add the bottom and at some point it will be re-ordered alphabetically. NB: there is no obligation to add or your name or to weigh-in weekly - this is for those that find the weekly weigh-ins useful for motivation or accountability wink

These are the Rules for Boot Camp. They are also on one of the tabs of the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness (SoF).

You need to follow The Rules for the first two weeks of Boot Camp. This gives your body a chance to "fat adapt" and for you to learn to eat because you are hungry, not because you crave carbs/sugar. As you get used to this Way of Eating (WoE), you will be amazed to find how often you are not hungry. You will find your fat stores give you sufficient energy.

For newbies, it is important to eat 3 meals a day - even if it is just a nominal breakfast/bulletprooof coffee (coffee blended with butter). Otherwise, you may find that hunger - or habit - will lead you to fall face first back into carby twatdom and then you need to start that process of fat-adaption all over again. Some of us who have now been low carbing for a while have found that we can follow 16:8 fasting or even the occasional 24 hour fast - but this is not something to be done in the early weeks. Don't try to restrict your fat because you think you are having too many calories, as they are important for the process of encouraging your body to change the way it uses its fuel.

So, here are the Rules. After 2 weeks I (or whoever takes over the next stint of the BIWI Replacement Programme ) the rules will be posted for Boot Camp Lite. Many of us who are still actively trying to lose weight tend to follow "full" Boot Camp during the week (maybe with extra berries and nuts) and then allow a small amount of alcohol at the weekend).

1. Eat three proper meals a day.
"You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, and it doesn’t have to be absolutely first thing, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry between meals. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack).
After the first two weeks of Bootcamp we will relax this, but these two weeks are critical in terms of helping you switch easily to a low carb way of eating - and if you start to feel hungry, it makes things much harder! Eating this way will ensure that your blood sugar levels are kept stable, which will mean that you are much less likely to experience hunger.
A typical high carbohydrate diet can mean that snacking is a routine part of your day. Once your blood sugar levels are stable, by eating low carb, you should find that you no longer want to snack. But the rule of thumb here is ‘if you are hungry, eat!’. (Just make sure you are only choosing low carb snacks, of course!)"

2. Avoid processed foods.
Focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals - meat/fish/eggs. Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. You can have them, but just not every day. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, eg. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3. Eat lots of fat.
Eating fat will not make you fat. Honestly! But it will keep your appetite satisfied, and it sustains your body’s energy requirements perfectly. Fat does not provoke an insulin spike, unlike carbs which do (a lot) and protein (a little). Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though, as this is too sweet), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4. Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food.
This is where your carbs should come from, and this is non-negotiable. But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list. Make sure that you focus on eating those vegetables that are 3g carb per 100g or less, and this will ensure that your carb counts are kept low. You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat.

5. Be careful about dairy (apart from butter, which is unlimited).
Dairy can impede weight loss for some people. If you are still drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. There are a lot of carbs in milk, so if you are having several cups of tea/coffee per day, you will quickly rack up your daily carb count (e.g. 1 medium latte contains more than 12g carbs!) You may eat cheese but again, don't overdo it. Full fat yoghurt is the best way to include dairy in your diet - but beware, it does contain carbs. Total Full Fat is the best

6. You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.
"The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink. This is from www.low-carbdiet.co.uk/. Water is essential to weight loss for those who eat low-carb. The minimum consumed in a day should be:
Your Weight--------Litres
140lbs-----------------2.5
160lbs-----------------3.0
180lbs-----------------3.0
200lbs-----------------3.5
220lbs-----------------3.5
240lbs-----------------4.0
260lbs-----------------4.5
280lbs-----------------4.5
300lbs-----------------5.0
320lbs-----------------5.5
340lbs-----------------5.5
360lbs-----------------6.0
380lbs-----------------6.5
400lbs-----------------6.5
High levels of ketones in the blood stream can lead to a reduction in ketone production, therefore being well hydrated could aid in keeping the levels low and ketone production ongoing. Consuming enough water can have many other positive side effects: aids your kidneys with the processing of protein, reduces the retention of water, helps with preventing constipation, and reduces the levels of ketones released by your breath, which in-turn will reduce breath odour. However, drinking a lot of water can mean that you also need to keep an eye on your electrolyte balance. You need to make sure that you are consuming sufficient sodium and potassium. On a low carb diet we can eat more salt, so make sure that you are cooking with salt and adding salt to food, if you like it. Good, low carb, sources of potassium are spinach (raw), avocado, mushrooms, courgettes and asparagus, as well as salmon and yoghurt."

7. No alcohol.
Alcohol is the easiest source of fuel for the body to burn, so it will always use this first before it starts to burn any fat - which is why you need to restrict it, especially in the first two weeks of Bootcamp, when we are encouraging the body to stop using carbs for its source of fuel and turn to fat-burning instead. If you really can't do this - at least try and restrict it to the weekend. Vodka with soda is the best thing to drink. Or Champagne, red wine or dry white wine.

8. No fruit.
Really. Seriously. Honestly. None at all. Zilch. Nada. After Bootcamp you will be able to introduce certain fruits, but at this stage fruit is simply too carby. We are also trying to break the addiction to sweet things, so cutting fruit out is part of this process. If you are getting all your carbs from vegetables and salad, you will be getting all the nutrients and fibre that you need.

9. No nuts/seeds (unless you are veggie: check the SoF for veggie rules)

10. No sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Sugar is an obvious ‘no no’, but artificial sweeteners are also an issue. One of the aims of this way of eating is to eat pure and natural foods, so including sweeteners is not recommended. Some people find that artificial sweeteners can impede their weight loss, and there is some suggestion that your body can respond to sweeteners as if they were sugar, by releasing more insulin - and therefore laying down fat. Given that the aim of Bootcamp is to help us lose our sweet tooth and addiction to sweet things, then it is a good idea to avoid sweeteners altogether in this first two weeks.

intelligentPutty Mon 08-Jan-18 08:39:24

Thanks prettybird
Day 1 is here!
Breakfast: yoghurt with double cream (and a babybel)
Lunch: Avocado, Mozarella, tuna infusion (w basil).

Kleptronic Mon 08-Jan-18 08:41:48

Yay!

prettybird Mon 08-Jan-18 08:55:37

I will now admit to my own weight, which is up 3.5lb from where I got to before Christmas: now back over 12 stone at 12 stone 1.5lb (got down to 11 stone 12lb just bfore Christmas and after an egg fast ) - but down 5lb from the "worst" of the Christmas excesses shock. Just goes to show how much of that is water when we revert to carby twatdom - although to be fair on me, I wasn't too bad (just 2 mince pies, one slice of Christmas cake, some Christmas pudding both Danish and British , a few lot of Quality Street and toffees and rather too much wine and bubbly blush)

Can't actually post my name on the spreadsheet yet as the power pack to my laptop has given up the ghost and I am using an old Mac which isn't opening Sheets enough for me to get to my name (nor can I see the tabs). New power pack arriving today fingers crossed that that was indeed the problem

ilovecherries Mon 08-Jan-18 08:55:54

Thanks, PrettyBird, we're off! New people, if you follow the rules, it works - good luck everyone smile. I'm joining this bootcamp at 169. NYD 2017 I weighed in at 226. All but 7 lbs of that loss is down to LCHF, which I started in May. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of people here, who've got your back when you need it.

OldBooks Mon 08-Jan-18 09:01:08

Morning all! Thanks for running the BC prettybird!

I won't do the spreadsheet but here are my stats:
Start weight before my first BC (May 17): 231lbs
Lowest recorded weight since then: 211lbs

Weight this morning: 213lbs

I am a little shocked at my weight this morning, I was expecting to be 220-ish after my Xmas binge but maybe having tonsillitis since NYE has helped to bring on a woosh!!

Good luck to everyone starting today grin

ASDismynormality Mon 08-Jan-18 09:04:23

3 lbs heavier than I was at the end of last bootcamp but 110 lbs lighter than I was exactly a year ago!

Good luck everyone!

MaudesMum Mon 08-Jan-18 09:05:26

yay! I am joining the bootcamp at 185 lb. In an ideal world, I'd get down to 170lb by the end! Big challenges for me are alcohol, portion sizes and too much dairy!

PrincessPeaPod Mon 08-Jan-18 09:05:33

Lets do this! Had a baby last year, its time to shake it up!

StuntNun Mon 08-Jan-18 09:07:27

Weighing in at 148lb which is a bit heavier than I would like so I'm aiming to lose 13lb by the start of June to get back into the middle of the normal BMI range (currently not too bad at 24).

OldBooks Mon 08-Jan-18 09:07:37

Oh I wanted to set a BC goal. I want to be in the 190s by the end of BC, so essentially lose a stone and a bit.

My overall aim this year is to reach and maintain a comfortable size 14. Obviously I want to be lower than that eventually but considering how hard I find it to stick to a woe I want to take it slow, let it become habit.

Twoo Mon 08-Jan-18 09:10:45

Thank you for starting this thread. Following with interest and intention.

I’ve tried so many time’s before but I’m determined to see this boot camp through.

What is a Whoosh? Can you buy them?

Rshard Mon 08-Jan-18 09:16:17

Morning all! Thanks prettybird for the sparkly new spreadsheet.

I gained 5 over Christmas, but have been back on the wagon since New Years Eve. So those pesky pounds plus another one (!) have gone. I’m starting at 148lbs, snap stuntnun! I’m 15lbs from goal and hoping to get their this bootcamp.

Really happy to be back at boot camp

lisbapalea Mon 08-Jan-18 09:16:49

Weighed in - lost 2.5 or even 3lb in week one according to my old analogue scales which I weighed in on last Monday!

But I am now using my fancy new digital scales which actually don't show a loss as they would evidently have had my starting weight higher had I used them last Monday! I will be using the new scales from now on and the weight in the spreadsheet are based on that! That was all unnecessary waffle for everyone else to read - sorry!

B - boiled egg with mayo, half an avocado and a slice of fatty ham
L - salad plus those cheese and ham things from M&S
D - tuna and egg salad probs

vintagebella Mon 08-Jan-18 09:17:25

Morning all! I started low carb Feb 2017 at 215. I'm weighing in for this boot camp at 170 with 45lbs to go ~ half way there.

I'm more of a loiterer than a joiner in but I do read the threads every day and take inspiration from you all

Thanks to everyone for running this star

TimbuktuTimbuktu Mon 08-Jan-18 09:18:43

Hi everyone. Hope you had a good Christmas and are ready to get back in the zone!

Pretty much back where I started before the last one which is my own fault for a very indulgent Christmas. Hoping a lot of it is water though.

Boot camp goal is to see something with an 11 in it which is possibly a bit ambitious. Booze is my downfall so I am going to attempt a dry month from today and then one day a week only.

Irritatingly I have a really bad sore throat this morning so I have started the day with a tyrozet (1g sugar) which is not ideal.

B- Avocado and cream cheese
L- hopefully some low carb soup if m&s will oblige
D- going to a French restaurant not sure what the next option is but probably a salad.

Good luck and try not to cheat on day 1!

prettybird Mon 08-Jan-18 09:19:06

I started in May at 209lb - just under 15stone shock

I'm now 12 stone 1.5lb - up 3.5lb from where I'd got to just before Christmas (when I'd done an egg fast to successfully get into the 11 stone somethings.....)

This WoE really does work - I achieved that loss without ever feeling hungry or deprived smile

I still have at least 1.5 stone to go (would like it to be 2 stone) and a target of 16 May (my 20th wedding anniversary) to achieve it. That will put me comfortably back into a normal BMI (I am only 5' 5.5" tall).

GrandOldDukeOfPorkiness Mon 08-Jan-18 09:19:44

Hurrah! I lost heaps last bootcamp (under a different name) before falling off the thread and putting half of it back on over Christmas. But I am not going to beat myself up about it. I am just going to get back on the ff Greek yoghurt flavoured wagon... 232lbs this morning. A kind friend is going to add me to the bottom of the spreadsheet later, I hope.

prettybird Mon 08-Jan-18 09:20:00

ASD - that is a fantastic achievement flowersstar

Alwaysinmyheart Mon 08-Jan-18 09:25:55

Thanks for new thread, determined to do this (again!)smile

Giraffeski Mon 08-Jan-18 09:27:02

I’m in but i’m not weighing

prettybird Mon 08-Jan-18 09:27:32

Twoo - if only you could buy Whooshes wink

They are the big drops in weight you can get at the beginning of Boot Camp - mostly water but it's a good motivator (long term Boot Campers if they haven't had a period of Festive Carby Twatdom won't get them) and then later we can experience them after a stall - so they mean all the more then grin

PeanutMacaroon Mon 08-Jan-18 09:35:36

Hi all

Starting at 170lbs (12 st 2). Was down to 11st 7lbs at the beginning of December, but a combination of a serious mince pie addiction plus starting on the apparently appetite increasing mirtazapine (anti depressants), things have gone off track! Hoping to get back on track with the help of you lovely lot. Many thanks for running this thread!

Breakfast today has been scrambled eggs with butter, spinach and chilli flakes and half an avocado. Breakfast is always easy though! Hoping to keep on track through the day with some broccoli and stilton soup for lunch and then will be browsing the internet this morning for inspiring dinner ideas. Good luck everyone!

TheHoundsofLove Mon 08-Jan-18 09:39:54

Good morning all. I have weighed in at 11st7, which is more than when I was pregnant...8 years ago! blush We can do this!

TheHoundsofLove Mon 08-Jan-18 09:41:01

Actually, that should have read 11st8!

This thread is not accepting new messages.