Talk

Advanced search

Newbie considering bootcamp - couple of questions

(5 Posts)
CremeDeSudo Thu 05-Oct-17 09:22:33

Hi all

I think I'm in for my first attempt ever at LCHF.... but just a couple of questions..

We've just started trying for another baby - is that an issue? Will being keto affect my fertility? Can you do keto when pregnant? I had a MC a few months ago and I don't want to do anything that'll potentially cause us problems. On the flipside, there's no guarantee we'll catch straight away (although we did for my last 2 pregnancies) so I don't want to put this off 'just in case' in you see what I mean.

I'm planning to use the meal plan from the Diet Doctor website as the recipes are really appealing and I like how it decides for me and plans it all out! Will this be OK to do on bootcamp? Am I likely to need snacks in addition to the meals they've planned out d'you think? If so, what can I snack on?

I did Cambridge diet before, and had carb flu. I'm therefore expecting it again. When does it usually kick in? Just so I can prepare DH!

Finally, how much can I hope to lose in the first 2 weeks?

Apologies if these quesitons have been asked before!

CremeDeSudo Thu 05-Oct-17 10:29:03

Also, does anyone put on weight? Or not lose? During the first two weeks I mean. I'm focussing on the first two weeks as that's the test for meI think. If I can do the two weeks and lose more than 2lb I'll be happy! Hoping I might lose 3 or more though!

And where is the sign up thread please?!

ClearEyesFullHearts Thu 05-Oct-17 16:58:51

Hi @CremeDeSudo, didn't want to leave you hanging here. I can't answer all these questions but will try in a moment. For now, check out the Keep on Keeping on until the next Bootcamp thread which is full of posters from May Bootcamp who are still following the LCHF way of eating.

ClearEyesFullHearts Thu 05-Oct-17 17:08:36

As for your (many!) questions...

No idea the effects of LCHF on fertility. Would ask GP about this. I do know we have some who are breastfeeding, they just aim for a slightly higher level of carbs at which weight loss still occurs, albeit slightly slower.

In my experience, a 2-3 lb weight loss in the first two weeks is absolutely achievable. And possibly more, depending on what you've been eating to date and how much weight you have to lose.

I do know there's a famous stalling in weeks 3 & 4 that can be frustrating, but it passes and then a steady 1-2 lbs per week would be normal when following the plan.

No idea about Diet Doctor, but loads of posters refer to it so it seems very much on keeping with LCHF and Bootcamp.

Do people gain weight? Yes, if they don't follow the plan or if they're expecting periods or for unexplained reasons--I think that happens just about everywhere, butbthe important point is if someone stalls or gains in one week while following property, it is a blip and the important thing is a downward trajectory of weight loss.

Carb flu--never had it! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My understanding is a few days into the first week is when there's a huge adjustment for our bodies but it is normally over by the beginning of the second week.

Hope that's helpful. If there are unanswered questions, donpop over to thenthread I linked for a wider audience and more scientific information.

CremeDeSudo Fri 06-Oct-17 09:28:01

Thanks Clear I'll scoot over there now smile

For reference of anyone else interested, apparently low carb is recommended for polycystic ovaries and other fertility affecting issues, so it's actually a recommended diet! Have found mixed guidance about being pregnant on it, but to be honest most of what you find relating to low carb/keto seems to be mixed so I'm not sure on that one yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now