Talk

Advanced search

Low carb AND low cal... where's the catch?

(6 Posts)
Bleurghghghgh Tue 04-Jul-17 22:13:58

Hi not sure if in the right place but...

I'm on day 4 of a lowish carb (under 80g a day) AND low cal eating plan (under 1500 a day - averaged 1300 so far) and I'm finding it bizarrely easy... I'm also doing 10:14 IF so that may be helping. Here's an average day:

Breakfast- lunch: black coffee and water
Lunch: 4x eggs, tsp butter, 40g smoked salmon
Snack of an apple or a carrot
Dinner: loads of (roasted in a bit of olive oil) veg, chicken. Sometimes a bit of cheese

I had a glass of wine today which brought me up to 1500 (and upped the carbs) but I'm a bit confused as to how I'm finding this so easy... I've lost 3kg of what is most likely water weight and although overweight to start with (BMI 28) I was eating total shit. High fat high carb no veg.

Why is this so easy so far?! I'm not hungry at all... should I count my blessings?! Or is there something wrong with me? I'm weighing everything and if anything overcompensating for cals so I'm not overeating by any stretch

Bleurghghghgh Wed 05-Jul-17 22:48:44

Any ideas?

squoosh Thu 06-Jul-17 10:28:54

Are you eating enough fat? From my understanding low carb combined with low cal is counter-intuitive as when you reduce your carbs you actually need to increase your fat intake in order to burn fat.

But @BIWI is your woman with the science and she should be able to explain it better than I can.

squoosh Thu 06-Jul-17 10:31:03

So even though you've initially lost weight this may dramatically slow unless your start introducing more fats to your food.

ShastaBeast Fri 07-Jul-17 01:35:25

I find increasing my fat intake naturally reduces my calorie intake- fat makes me fuller quicker and for longer so I eat less overall. It didn't make sense at first but does now. I found I could eat carbs all day long but the same calories in low carb/high fat would make me very sickly after a short time.

hippadoppaloppagorillapig Fri 07-Jul-17 06:49:31

Agree with Shasta - the fat keeps me full, therefore I naturally don't eat as much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: