Talk

Advanced search

Is this a decent breakfast or is it bad for my blood sugar?

(22 Posts)
Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 09:26:41

Hope this is the right place. I have swapped my usual two or three weetabix in the morning for a big handful of blueberries, strawberries, ( about four), a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of no sugar muesli. I have a feeling that this isn't as healthy as I think and may be sending my blood sugar rocketing when I haven't eaten for at least twelve hours since the day before. I know I would be better off with eggs but I am not sure I can stomach them first thing in the morning. Any views?

Thank you

fiftyplustwo Sun 14-May-17 09:30:17

Probably better than the biscuits. Blueberries are said to be good for you. I assume you make the muesli yourself? If not, that might be the next step.

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 09:37:51

Thanks fiftyplustwo I buy either the Jordan's chaff-like one or make the Jamie Oliver granola dust and put plenty of seeds and nuts in it.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 14-May-17 09:39:47

I don't think it sounds particularly healthy. Dd is a dancer & the type of breakfast that is reccomended for her to avoid blood sugar highs & sustain her energy is something like 2 weetabix & milk with a spoonful of dried or fresh fruit,a small bowl of low sugar museli with sliced banana & yoghurt or a slice of wholemeal toast or fruit bread with a bowl of Greek yoghurt & fruit (more yoghurt less fruit than you are having)

Even better is porridge with a handful of fruit.

Mustang27 Sun 14-May-17 10:10:13

If you are low carbing that's not great and yeah your blood sugar will be high.

I dont like eggs in the morning the breakfast kind any way but I make a large frittata and slice that into 6 portions and that's breakfast for the week. Think quiche Lorraine without the crust I find that really easy to eat and enjoy it cold.

Or make a meatloaf with loads of hidden veg or burgers if that's easier, all can be prepared cooked ahead and eaten cold, they should easily keep for a week too.

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 10:11:29

Thanks both. I can certainly manage porridge but I always feel quite hungry quite quickly afterwards. I'm craving sugar all the time at the moment and am usually able to control it but I will eat any old rubbish at the moment and am consequently feeling quite flabby. I'm under stress so I am putting it down to that but wondering if my breakfast is having something to do with it. Skin seems to be better though but don't know if the blueberries and complexion factors are related.

explodingkittens Sun 14-May-17 10:14:21

It's not low-carb, if you're having muesli and 'a big handful' of fruit. Lose the muesli and some of the fruit. Make sure the yoghurt is full fat and add a swoosh of double cream. Sorted wink

It is definitely better than weetabix though.

(None of the suggestions in the post above mine are in any way low-carb, btw! Although I agree more yoghurt and less fruit)

SoftSheen Sun 14-May-17 10:14:36

It sounds like a great, healthy breakfast to me. But then I don't believe in low-carbing

explodingkittens Sun 14-May-17 10:15:11

Sorry, slow posting.

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 10:17:02

Mustang the frittata sounds good. I suppose with low-carbing you need a completely new mindset. I always seem to gravitate towards the carbs, white bread, crackers etc and even while I am eating them I know it's not good, but I guess its a bit of habit too. Alexander maybe I should alter the ratio of fruit to yogurt. Mustang do you freeze the frittata or is it ok in the fridge? My ds would love that too- he's a three scrambled eggs man but I am sure he would enjoy that.

justpoppingby Sun 14-May-17 10:17:24

You might find using My Fitness Pal good for keeping track of your carbs. It's free and You can record your eating diary daily and it will tell you in nutrition how many carbs you've had. DH has diabetes and it helps him keep his blood sugar low.
A small portion of blueberries and proper Greek yoghurt (not Greek style yoghurt) can be a reasonable carb amount,porridge or muesli is a fair bit higher. I think.

explodingkittens Sun 14-May-17 10:19:37

It is hard to change your mindset. It's a totally different way of thinking about food, compared with the way we've all been brought up to think about 'healthy eating'. But it's an amazing way to eat once you get your head around it. I've never felt or looked better smile

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 10:20:30

Slow posting for me too... I've got that Micahel Mosely book somewhere. I certainly lost some weight the last time I followed it but I felt incredibly spaced out and weird some days too. I have low iron and am taking a mega supplement at the moment and I guess that higher protein/ lower carb regime will help with that too.

My diet has really gone down hill recently and I don't like it at all, instead of feeling the guilt I should sort it out

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 10:24:51

exploding you are right. I will have to get everyone else in the family to change their mindset too. We do eat quite a lot of pulses, beans, lean meat, fish but I probably put carbs with them. Eg home made falafels but in wraps, dhal but maybe with rice so bumping up the carb count. It's definitely the case that the more you eat them, the more you want them though.

explodingkittens Sun 14-May-17 10:25:15

Remember though, for low carb to work you should be thinking in terms of higher FAT and lower carb, not worrying too much about protein. It's that which takes some getting used to, but it absolutely works.

High fat, moderate protein, low carb. Have you taken a look at the recent boot camp threads, they're great for inspiration.

explodingkittens Sun 14-May-17 10:27:14

Ok so the thing is that beans, pulses etc will be off the menu too if you are going to do lchf properly - they are already carbs! Your meat should be fatty too wink

CiderwithBuda Sun 14-May-17 10:31:27

Full fat Greek yoghurt - Total brand one is good with some blueberries and some nuts and seeds is a good healthy and relatively low carb breakfast. The yoghurt is protein and fat and will not spike your blood sugar. Berries are not too bad carb wise but just a few not a bowlful. I usually sprinkle flaked almonds and pumpkin seeds on top and mix in some ground flax seeds. If I was to add a granola or muesli it would be a low carb one and just as a garnish really - just a tablespoon to add extra crunch. But I generally don't. Just the yoghurt, berries and almonds and seeds.

Weetabix isn't great. Shredded wheat is better apparently.

WicksEnd Sun 14-May-17 10:44:31

There's only 5g of carb in the strawberries
If it's full fat Greek yougurt that's usually around 6g of carb per 100g
Can't remember blueberries off the tip of my head.
I am a walking carb calculator as I have to count them to calculate insulin doses due to being type 1 diabetic, so scrap the muesli and it's not too bad, depends what your daily carb limit is though.
Yeo valley full fat Greek Hooghly is bloody Devine and 5.3 g of carb per 100g. So 250g of yog and 80g of strawbs would be about 18g of carbs.

WicksEnd Sun 14-May-17 10:45:28

WTF is Hooghly? grin
That should say yogurt. smile

Mustang27 Sun 14-May-17 11:30:20

It never lasts long enough to freeze but it will keep in a container for about 5 days in the fridge. The things you put in it can be endless as well so it doesn't need to be boring, my go to is always loads of cheese, cream and smoky bacon that often doesn't see the next day with me and my wee one lol

Waitingforsherlock Sun 14-May-17 13:29:04

Thanks all. Will have a look for the other thread. Am dining on a nice cheesy omelette as I type. Will try to resist the banana loaf I'm making for the dc's. Thanks again.

BIWI Tue 16-May-17 08:36:41

SoftSheen

How can you not believe in something like this? It's not a bloody religion!

And if you don't, then why comment on the thread?

@WaitingforSherlock - PP have given you good advice; as you posted in the Low Carb Bootcamp thread, just to let you know that the next Bootcamp starts on Monday so why not come and join us then?

Also, can I point you in the direction of a really interesting book, called 'Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal' Professor Terence Kelley

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now