Talk

Advanced search

Errrm...sweating

(6 Posts)
pollyglot Mon 10-Apr-17 20:45:36

It was a joy to discover this corner devoted to LCHF. I've been LCHFing for 8 weeks now, on the advice of my cardiologist, and have lost 5 kg. Slow and steady-all good. But oh dear, the sweating! When I'm doing anything energetic, it's really profuse, but going from a warm day outside to an airconditioned room, my head sweats! Soaked hair and drips running down my face. Not a pretty look in a place of work. Anyone else have this problem? I drink loads of water and take extra salt.

BrexitSucks Tue 23-May-17 19:03:32

You don't need extra salt. Almost no one ever needs added salt.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 23-May-17 19:12:35

You do need extra salt if you are LCHF to lose weight, as you drink so much that you can unbalance your electrolytes.

OP, I can't say that I've ever had this problem with LCHF. If anything I'm more likely to be freezing cold! (I well remember that summer when I never put away my winter woolies - brrrr.)

Could it possibly be caused by something else? Any chance that it's menopause-related?

BrexitSucks Tue 23-May-17 20:19:34

Do you guys mean electrolytes or sodium?

These low carbers reduced their sodium intake by 21% from baseline.

The Atkins supplement described here did not list sodium in ingredients (but had other minerals, yes).

Another study that describes high sodium excretion for 2 wks but not a need for sodium supplements.

Are there good quality science studies that show that supplemental sodium is beneficial for weight loss.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 23-May-17 20:35:52

When I start LCHF, if I do not increase my sodium intake I get dreadful leg-cramps. It doesn't seem to be a problem after the first month or so.

We cook from scratch most of the time, and rarely add salt, so perhaps my need for extra sodium is higher than someone who regularly eats bacon and Dominos pizza, for example.

herecomesthsun Thu 25-May-17 20:46:33

Interesting. I have low BP and was told by a consultant cardiologist to up my salt intake generally, so maybe I need to allow for this if drinking more water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now