Talk

Advanced search

Day 1 for me on bootcamp and I have a couple of daft questions

(25 Posts)
TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Mon 27-Feb-17 09:30:26

Morning all.

I have a few questions re the bootcamp.

1) Can it be any FF yogurt or does it have to be Greek style. Had Greek style this morning and it was vile. I added vanilla extract, but by the 3rd teaspoon, I realised it was never going to taste better. If I can eat a flavoured yogurt, what do I need to look out for when making choices? Also, how much can I eat?

2) Herbs and spices. Can I use them? I like curries etc.

3) if I can have mayo, can I have FF Ceasar dressing. The one I love has 3 carbs per 100.

4) where is the list for allowed veg? I have found a tab on the spreadsheet that says how many carbs are in veg. Is this the list I am looking for?

5) can I really eat fat? Coming from SW, this is a very unusual way of thinking for me.

6) will this WOE help to reduce my belly fat? I carry all my weight on my middle. I lost 2.5 stone on SW but didn't lose a single inch on my belly. It was totally demoralising and I ended up putting it all back on again.

Am sure there will be more questions over the next few days but that's me done for now TIA.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Mon 27-Feb-17 09:43:18

I knew there would be another one.

7) if I can use spices, can I use coconut cream in a curry?

SayrraT Mon 27-Feb-17 19:18:59

Flavoured yog will have sweeteners/sugar in them so they are a no. Greek yog is low carb and high fat.

Try adding berries maybe?

Herbs and spices yes, they are fine. So is coconut cream and milk but not creamed coconut!

Mayo fine, under 3g/100g is fine, same rule for veg as well. Concentrate on veg lower than 3g/100g.

Yes, you can definitely eat fat! Come over to the week 4 thread and just jump in.

JamesDelaneysHat Mon 27-Feb-17 19:21:41

Low carb is known to reduce belly and visceral fat I believe. shock at losing 2.5 stone but none off belly, I don't blame you getting demoralised!

BursarsFrogs Tue 28-Feb-17 09:25:45

Re. the yoghurt, other plain yoghurt is sometimes low carb, but sometimes has more carbs, so it's worth looking at the package. If you don't like the taste as it is, you could try adding vanilla extract or paste, cinnamon, or something else non-sugary. Or you could try Co Yo the coconut yoghurt, which is (really expensive!) very low carb, too.

DragonsToSlayAndWineToDrink Tue 28-Feb-17 09:31:47

You can't eat berries in boot camp! Cinnamon is a good alternative, or I think you can get orange essence? And you MUST eat fat - the lovely BIWI will explain it properly, but it's very important!

SayrraT Tue 28-Feb-17 13:57:45

You can have berries after the first two weeks though.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Tue 28-Feb-17 15:53:55

Thanks guys.

Have had a good couple of days apart from the bastard of a headache I have. It's a big shift in thinking so it will take me some time to get my head round it all. I put a knob of butter on my veg last night and I felt really naughty grin

I did look at flavoured yogurt and the best one I found was 11g/100 so it looks like yogurt is out for me. God know what else I will have for breakfast instead.

Last night I cooked the lamb meatballs from page 1 of the recipie fred. Bloody gorgeous. If I can eat like that every day, I will be a happy lady smile

Rozdeek Tue 28-Feb-17 16:01:40

Eggs for breakfast are your friend. Don't think of breakfast as just a time for "breakfast" foods - there's no reason you can't have chicken or something.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Tue 28-Feb-17 16:39:20

I think I may have found a yogurt combo.

Cocoa and vanilla extract. I worked out the portions and it came to 0.8 of a carb. Does this sound like something I can have?

The smell of food in the morning makes me queasy so most food is out. I know from experience that a meaty breakfast is out. I am partial to an egg muffin and have had a couple of those as snacks but really don't fancy eating them for breakfast every day.

hollinhurst84 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:00:33

How about egg mayo? Shove it on some little gem lettuce, v little prep too
Have you tried total yoghurt? That's the nicest I found

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 18:05:59

Any ff yoghurt I would have said is fine. I've done a low carbon diet and lost shite loads and always had muller lights etc. Even the etotal with the fruit portion I had. Honestly you'll be fine. The weight watchers layer ones are great and only £1 for 4 x

BIWI Sun 05-Mar-17 20:24:57

MrsCabernetSauvignon - then that wasn't a low carb diet at all. And Weight Watchers isn't low carb either!

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 20:39:42

It was actually and it worked! Do you know of any yoghurts that have zero carbs in? Yoghurts were my only carbs of about 7g! If you've not heard of it google the Terri Ann 123 diet.

BIWI Sun 05-Mar-17 20:42:36

But this is a Bootcamp thread, not Terri Ann! (Whoever she is). And any yoghurt with fruit in it will be too high in carbs.

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 20:51:59

No it won't...I was just putting my opinion across. Any ff yoghurt will be fine. Try fruit in and fruit out. I guarantee it won't make a difference!

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 20:53:14

People in this thread are having mayo!!!??? And your obsessing about fruit in yoghurt!

BIWI Sun 05-Mar-17 21:11:31

MrsCabernetSauvignon - Bootcamp is about low carbing, which is a way of eating which is high fat.

And it's also about eating proper, unprocessed food. Unlike low fat foods like Muller Lights, et al, which contain all manner of artificial ingredients.

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 21:37:53

Aw sorry my mistake when you say low carving I thought you meant low carbing and not high fat as there are many variations out there (as I can imagine you already know). This would be similar to the Cambridge diet some might say. I jumped in because as I said I have done and still do to some extent a low carb diet where I eat ff yoghurt (with fruit) and pretty much no other carbs (condiments Inc.). This would in my eyes become a low carb diet. What is the name of the low carb diet that this bootcamp refers to? I'd like to read more about it.

BIWI Sun 05-Mar-17 21:52:01

Aw sorry my mistake when you say low carving I thought you meant low carbing and not high fat as there are many variations out there (as I can imagine you already know). This would be similar to the Cambridge diet some might say.

No it's not!!! The Cambridge Diet is a very low calorie diet (VLCD), which is completely different.

I jumped in because as I said I have done and still do to some extent a low carb diet where I eat ff yoghurt (with fruit)

But this isn't low carb!

and pretty much no other carbs (condiments Inc.)

Many condiments aren't high in carbs. No idea why you would dismiss all condiments as high in carbs!

What is the name of the low carb diet that this bootcamp refers to? I'd like to read more about it.

There's a whole topic on here about Low Carb Bootcamp. I run them about 3 or 4 times a year. We're currently halfway through the latest one.

MrsCabernetSauvignon Sun 05-Mar-17 22:11:46

OMG YOU cannot tell me it is not low carb when in fact it is! If I am having 7g of carbs instead of 75g then it's low carb. It really is quite simple. There is no title, there is no yes you can do this but you cant do that! And neither is ff yoghurt with fruit in. I'd love to see the comparisons of condiments vs yoghurt (with fruit in) per 100g! Where is your science coming from?

BIWI Mon 06-Mar-17 08:08:29

Yes, your one yoghurt is lower in carbs, but that's just one thing you're eating! Overall all the carbs in things you're eating will still add up.

On Low Carb Bootcamp which is what this thread is about, these yoghurts wouldn't be allowed as it would likely take your daily carbs up too high.

I'm not sure what you mean by condiments though?!

And there's plenty of science behind low carbing generally as well as the basic principles of Bootcamp - if you have a look at the spreadsheet that we use for our weigh-ins during Bootcamp you can find plenty of resources explaining the science.

BIWI Mon 06-Mar-17 08:20:49

Here's a link to the latest chat thread; the link to the spreadsheet is in the OP, if you're interested. Look at the tabs at the bottom to find various resources/info/science

BursarsFrogs Mon 06-Mar-17 08:27:49

It wouldn't be a very healthy long term plan to only get your carbs from a yoghurt, either. That would surely mean not eating any vegetables at all.

TodaysFishIsTroutALaCreme Mon 06-Mar-17 09:58:44

Thanks BIWI.

Have been on it for a week now following the guidelines. Have lost 5.2lbs so very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now