Talk

Advanced search

Can I carry on low carbing without dreaded constipation?

(10 Posts)
Gorgeousblonde Wed 01-Feb-17 13:04:40

There must be a way? I've lost a stone in a month so don't want to go back to carbs but I can't deal with the constipation. I eat loads of veg, have lots of water, walk every day and take supplements, a multivitamin without iron, fish oil, chromium, co-enzyme Q10, + 2 psyllium husks, which are supposed to avoid constipation.

I've had most excruciating constipation which lasted FIVE days and was almost as bad as childbirth, I kid you not. Ouch. It was only relieved by going to the GP and taking the hard core laxatives prescribed. And an ahem, examination, which is not top of my favorite ways to spend a morning.

How can I low carb, be healthy and avoid being constipated? Thankyou.

321zerobaby Wed 01-Feb-17 13:10:18

Are you drinking enough water? I low carbed for a year once, I used to drink 2 litres of water a day, and have 2 tablespoons of linseeds (in 26g of porridge for breakfast, very precise!) and I didn't suffer any constipation at all. Linseeds are fantastic at making everything slippery!

maggiethemagpie Wed 01-Feb-17 13:11:34

how did you have porridge on low carb zerobaby?

Gorgeousblonde Wed 01-Feb-17 13:13:21

2-3 litres of water a day. Linseeds might be a good idea.

321zerobaby Wed 01-Feb-17 13:17:18

I went on the Sureslim diet. I had no other carbs other than very small amounts of vegetables (all weighed, very tedious),2 pieces of fruit, and 2 rice cakes, every day for a year. Lost 4 stone and got pregnant the first time I tried.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Wed 01-Feb-17 13:31:59

2-3l of water may not be enough. How much do you weigh, and how much do you want to lose?

You might want to do a shoutout for BIWI. She's the MN HFLC guru.

Gorgeousblonde Wed 01-Feb-17 14:48:00

I want to lose abuot 5 stone adn if I drink any more I will be in the toilet all day! I'm already weeing for England smilethank you, I will hope BIWI sees thsi.

BIWI Wed 01-Feb-17 19:16:38

You called? grin

You probably need to drink a bit more than that if you have that much to lose!

And also - up your fat as much as you can.

Other things you can try if you get constipated - a strong coffee in the morning, some more serious exercise than just a walk, a high strength vitamin C tablet.

And if all else fails, try some sugar-free chocolate or sweets (you can buy them at Boots). The polyols in those can trigger serious diarrhoea if you have too many, so be careful!!!

picklemepopcorn Wed 01-Feb-17 19:19:18

Linseeds, chia seeds, raw veg, more fat.b💩

CaptainBraandPants Wed 01-Feb-17 19:28:19

Magnesium supplements do the trick for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now